Rhode Island Reds OR are they?

utefan47

Chirping
Apr 21, 2022
Hello: So I'm new to this. I picked up 14 RIR chicks at the local Wilco in March and have raised them now to laying hens. I will qualify that to say several are laying, it's a process as they are young (I've gotten appx 12 pullet eggs in the last week and all are in good shape). I love the RIR. They are docile, calm, they seem to really like each other, they are friendly to me and they are supposed to be good layers and good meat chickens. I did my homework :). Three weeks ago I decide to go all in and get more because I have the space and I hear times are going to get tough. I'm building another coop. I picked up 15 more RIR. Well they have turned out to be holy terrors and they are only 4 weeks old (HA!). They are large and gangling, with long necks and they are wild, running all over the two tanks I have them in ( I separate them into groups of 7 or 8 in each 70 gallon stock tank) screeching, pecking at each other, it's like high anxiety, easily startled, unfriendly. I mean, I just did not experience this with the previous group. They do not look like they are shaping up to be the true RIR. Thoughts?
20220705_201153.jpg

Hello: So I'm new to this. I picked up 14 RIR chicks at the local Wilco in March and have raised them now to laying hens. I will qualify that to say several are laying, it's a process as they are young (I've gotten appx 12 pullet eggs in the last week and all are in good shape). I love the RIR. They are docile, calm, they seem to really like each other, they are friendly to me and they are supposed to be good layers and good meat chickens. I did my homework :). Three weeks ago I decide to go all in and get more because I have the space and I hear times are going to get tough. I'm building another coop. I picked up 15 more RIR. Well they have turned out to be holy terrors and they are only 4 weeks old (HA!). They are large and gangling, with long necks and they are wild, running all over the two tanks I have them in ( I separate them into groups of 7 or 8 in each 70 gallon stock tank) screeching, pecking at each other, it's like high anxiety, easily startled, unfriendly. I mean, I just did not experience this with the previous group. They do not look like they are shaping up to be the true RIR. Thoughts?View attachment 3176403
They appear to be RIR/Production Reds. The one in your pic is a cockerel.

They appear to be RIR/Production Reds. The one in your pic is a cockerel.
Can you elaborate on production reds please? And are you saying the one in the pic is a rooster? If so how can you tell at 4 weeks? Thsnk you for your response.

Can you elaborate on production reds please? And are you saying the one in the pic is a rooster? If so how can you tell at 4 weeks? Thsnk you for your response.
Production reds are sexlink birds bred for high egg production, they typically die from reproduction issues by age 3, unfortunately. Sex links are created by breeding opposite color parents together, the girls look like the sire and the males will look like the dam. I.E Barred x red, white x red, since they are red sex link, the boys will be lighter than the girls, like your little cockerel there and his comb gives him away too.

Production reds are sexlink birds bred for high egg production, they typically die from reproduction issues by age 3, unfortunately. Sex links are created by breeding opposite color parents together, the girls look like the sire and the males will look like the dam. I.E Barred x red, white x red, since they are red sex link, the boys will be lighter than the girls, like your little cockerel there and his comb gives him away too.
Production reds aren't sex-links. They are birds bred down from RIRs to produce more eggs. They are often a lighter rusty/orangey red color vs the deep red of a RIR. A RIR should be almost mahogany in color, and built more solidly (dual purpose breed).

Time will tell. Unless you specifically order heritage RIRs, most hatchery stock Production Reds and RIR are extremely similar.

Oh forgot to mention sex. The comb on that chick looks like it's fairly developed for 3 weeks. Could just be the red light making it appear that way though.

Production reds aren't sex-links. They are birds bred down from RIRs to produce more eggs. They are often a lighter rusty/orangey red color vs the deep red of a RIR. A RIR should be almost mahogany in color, and built more solidly (dual purpose breed).

Time will tell. Unless you specifically order heritage RIRs, most hatchery stock Production Reds and RIR are extremely similar.
Ok, that's good to know, thank you!

That is so interesting and I have so much to learn. I wondered why some people say they live "short" lives, less than 3 years; another wld say this bird has been around 8 years??? Also I swear they all have combs. I'll have to take a another hard look and send more pics. I am actually printing out your info for future reference. I may look for "heritage" RIR instead of just taking what they have at WILCO. Although I do love Wilco ! Thank you.

That is so interesting and I have so much to learn. I wondered why some people say they live "short" lives, less than 3 years; another wld say this bird has been around 8 years??? Also I swear they all have combs. I'll have to take a another hard look and send more pics. I am actually printing out your info for future reference. I may look for "heritage" RIR instead of just taking what they have at WILCO. Although I do love Wilco ! Thank you.
Productions breeds have short lives due to heavy laying, heritage breeds live longer but they don't produce as much. Both genders have combs, but males will developed theirs quickly.

Back
Top Bottom