Rhode Island Reds?

MegsEggsx

Songster
Nov 24, 2020
Australia, QLD
I got these 4 chickens at 5 weeks old in June. They are all girls and are so friendly, although one of the black ones doesn't like being picked up. Anyway, I know that the red ones are Rhode Island Red crosses, because that is what the lady we bought them from told us and I am pretty sure she said the same about the black ones. I think that they are all from different mothers with the same father (I am guessing the dad is the RIR), does anyone know what breed the mothers could be?
Sorry about the dodgy pictures, I can take some more if needed.

AJ & Komical.jpg
LJ & Komical Chillin'.jpg
Roxy Funny.jpg
The Flock Chillin'_LI.jpg

Mutt chickens.. mutt dogs and mutt kids.. believe that is life.. happier healthier.. The pure breeds get picked on and are frail.. barnyard chickens go about their business without being noticed.. flocking to one of life's lessons of survival.. be the grey chicken

I did some googling and turns out the black ones are Black Sex Links and the red ones are Red Sex Links. Hence the Rhode Island Red thing (they are cross between Rhode Island Reds and
Barred Plymouth Rocks). Thanks for the help!
The red ones are hybrids crosses of a RIR roo and a white hen such as a leghorn. You’re correct the black sex links are a cross of RIR roo and a barred rock hen, but I don’t believe those are BSLs. They are way too black; they look more like austrolorps to me. Here is a pic of some of my BSLs.

Attachments

• 5B9FD167-DCE3-45E9-8CFA-AB47C4F8BB86.jpeg
    5B9FD167-DCE3-45E9-8CFA-AB47C4F8BB86.jpeg
    723.9 KB · Views: 11
The red ones are hybrids crosses of a RIR roo and a white hen such as a leghorn. You’re correct the black sex links are a cross of RIR roo and a barred rock hen, but I don’t believe those are BSLs. They are way too black; they look more like austrolorps to me. Here is a pic of some of my BSLs.
X2!
The blacks are not BSLs.

I think they are BSLs. You can't see it in the photos but they have bright red feathers on their chest and necks and are exactly the same size and body shape as the RSLs. Also, the person we bought them off said the father was the same.

Back
Top Bottom