Rhode Island

Pics
Hey, does qnyone know of any family owned convenience stores? I'm thinking of trying a hatching experiment with store bought eggs and kinda want at least somewhat of a chance of hatching out at least one chick.

Hey, does qnyone know of any family owned convenience stores? I'm thinking of trying a hatching experiment with store bought eggs and kinda want at least somewhat of a chance of hatching out at least one chick.

I’d guess store-bought eggs aren’t fertile, and even if they were, wouldn’t the refrigeration render them unhatchable. Or am I missing something?

I’d guess store-bought eggs aren’t fertile, and even if they were, wouldn’t the refrigeration render them unhatchable. Or am I missing something?
It is possible to hatch a chick from them once in a blue moon with the chain stores. Thinking it'd be more likely to happen with a local smaller store thats more likely to get from a local provider.

It is possible to hatch a chick from them once in a blue moon with the chain stores. Thinking it'd be more likely to happen with a local smaller store thats more likely to get from a local provider.

So, is the experiment to see how often once in a blue moon is? Or are you just looking for eggs and hoping they'll hatch.

If it's the first one, post your results as I'd be interested to follow along! If you're just looking to hatch, there are lots of folks in RI who sell fertile eggs (especially around the Foster area, where I've bought from 4-5 different people).

But to contribute to your original question....in RI we have the big 3 groceries of Stop & Shop, Shaws, and Dave's...there's Whole Foods, Roch's, and there's a small place near me called Tom's (Rt. 3 Coventry). Not sure where any of them get their eggs....but they're smaller than the big guys.

Good luck!

So, is the experiment to see how often once in a blue moon is? Or are you just looking for eggs and hoping they'll hatch.

If it's the first one, post your results as I'd be interested to follow along! If you're just looking to hatch, there are lots of folks in RI who sell fertile eggs (especially around the Foster area, where I've bought from 4-5 different people).

But to contribute to your original question....in RI we have the big 3 groceries of Stop & Shop, Shaws, and Dave's...there's Whole Foods, Roch's, and there's a small place near me called Tom's (Rt. 3 Coventry). Not sure where any of them get their eggs....but they're smaller than the big guys.

Good luck!
It's just an experiment. I've been able to hatch my own chicks for 3 yrs now. Have no need to buy hatching eggs. Actually i've got a broody sitting on 9 ee eggs right now.

should have chicks hatching out if my eggs are all fertile. Only a little under two weeks left XD. Can't wait!!

These aren't eggs from my hatching experiment. Haven't done that yet. These are eggs I had already started that were layed by my hens.

One of my chicks hatched. When she did, I realized i'd actually been incubating a duck egg among them XD. The duck egg was viable so we let her keep it. But today, her baby that hatched kept her off the nest to muchday. So we had to find other incubation sources.
20200430_220229.jpg

5/23/2020 - Free Baby Cereal in West Greenwich

I did my usual food waste pickup today, and they'd told me they had some expired baby cereal for me, and they weren't kidding.

I'm going to pick up the rest tomorrow (5/23) of the PALLET AND A HALF of baby cereal.

I'll be mixing with water and feeding to my flock.

I'm in West Greenwich. If you'd like to come pick some up on SATURDAY, MAY 23, send me a PM and I'll shoot you my address. And by some...I mean, please come fill your trunk. I'd happily part with MANY cases for whoever wants it!

Here's a couple of pics of what I've got available:

5-22-baby-cereal.jpg

5-22-baby-cereal2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom