Rhode Island

Pics
The chicks won't be headed outdoors for at least 3 weeks or so.  And I wasn't going to put them together with the bigger hens but I really have no experience with integrating chicks and hens so opinions are welcome!  I can segregate or integrate the bigs and littles.

I find that sectioning off part of your run or building a temporary run next to the full grown chickens works for me. I place the younger chickens in the protected area with food and water so all birds can see each other but the large birds can not hurt the smaller ones. After a couple weeks I let them free range all together for an hour or so a day and once I'm satisfied, I'll put the young chickens in the coop at night. Everyone is different so you might find something else that works for you. Just make sure the chicks are old enough to defend themselves and have places to hide in your run. Good luck!

Hi,
welcome-byc.gif
!
Sorry, I don't know. Good luck finding them!

Howdy fellow Rhodyites! I am not chicken to say i love ducks! I ha (d) 4, Rouens and Blue Sweedes. Unfortunately a red tailed hawk grabbed one of my girls, so now down to 3. My female has gone broody and is sitting on them currently, being a great mom. My question is, they are due to hatch in late April. Should I allow mom to raise them naturally or bring them inside for a few weeks.

As Dotknott previously opined, the weather can be "wonky" as you know, cold rain, etc.

Good to know there are fellow feather lovers in Lil Rhody!!

Duckingham Palace being evaluated by my grandson Nikko and his faithful companion, Milo ( the building inspector, shhhh)

1f60e.png

Howdy fellow Rhodyites! I am not chicken to say i love ducks! I ha (d) 4, Rouens and Blue Sweedes. Unfortunately a red tailed hawk grabbed one of my girls, so now down to 3. My female has gone broody and is sitting on them currently, being a great mom. My question is, they are due to hatch in late April. Should I allow mom to raise them naturally or bring them inside for a few weeks.

As Dotknott previously opined, the weather can be "wonky" as you know, cold rain, etc.

Hello!
If it was me, I would bring them in for a little bit. That way you can give them some protection from the hawks and mom can bond with them without distraction. The other plus side is you can get close to your new fuzzy arrivals and you can't go wrong with that!
But that's just me......I love fuzzy babies
1f986.png
1f425.png

Good to know there are fellow feather lovers in Lil Rhody!!

Duckingham Palace being evaluated by my grandson Nikko and his faithful companion, Milo ( the building inspector, shhhh)

1f60e.png

Hello fellow duck lover! Generally, mom will take care of everyone just fine, but I'd separate them in the run if possible. Drakes can be bad, and spontaneous about it too. I had one last year who would actually protect the babies from me then turn around and try to kill them.

One of my Golden comets went broody two days ago so i moved her to a rabbit hutch with 12 Lavender Orpington eggs last night and this morning she is sitting, hope she will continue for the the 21 days!!!

I now have a second broody hen, i will give her a couple days to make sure she is serious and then move her on the other side of the rabbit hutch with 12 more lavender orpington eggs.

Hi RI, Barrington here. We lost all 3 of our month-old chickens last night (human error--all mine). We had 2 speckled Sussex and a barred Plymouth. I feel just sick about this.

It's late in the season, but we want to try again. Anyone know of a place I can get chicks or pullets right now?

Oh no! Sorry to hear it :(
If you want to start over, what breeds were you thinking? I'm not sure if Cluck still has chicks, but if you want ameraucanas I can recommend the place in MA where we got our chicks from.

Back
Top Bottom