Rhode Island

Yeah I know what you’re saying.
I had to convince my husband to get chickens and when I told him I initially said 3. Then since we were getting chicks and they were straight run I convinced him on 5 because some might be boys. And I explained the odds of a girl are unknown. Well, 4 were boys. So I ended up getting 4 more from someone in CT because they were the same age as the chicks I already had and the ones we got were female.
When we find our new house he told me I could get all the chickens I wanted.
Well... he shouldn’t have said that. Haha
But I could not ever have 70. That’s just too much. And the cost to feed 70 birds plus all the eggs is just too much for our small family. Yeah I could sell some but I don’t have it in me. My dream is a small hobby farm. Just enough space to have a garden and some animals.
So i would say 15-20 chickens... maybe 30 considering I want full size and bantams. ;0)
But time will tell and I’ll be back on here and let you know!!
Also, I used to have quail. I had 18 newly hatched coturnix quail. And kept them all. Even the boys. And he loved the fresh eggs. Then he processed and ate some of the boys.
Earlier this year I told my Husband all about these cute small chickens called bantams, how they were just like quail only a tiny bit bigger. And there are all different kinds.
He didn’t care much about it and most likely wanted me to be done talking about chickens.
So that’s how I started my chicken journey. Lol

Hello RI Chicken Tenders!

Does anyone raise chicks and sell "point of lay" hens? I'm going to be in the market for a good number of them come spring, and figured I'd try here before I went to Craigslist.

If you're going to be raising chicks, would love to hear about costs, quantities, breeds, etc.

Drop me a line!
Hello. Sorry about the late reply, I am not on often anymore. We started our flock last year with ISA Brown pullets from Stamp egg farm in Johnston at an excellent price. Lovely girls, so sweet and super friendly, lay eggs almost every day. We got beautiful Speckled Sussex and Lavender Orpington pullets along with Olive and Easter egger hatching eggs from Littleman Poultry
https://m.facebook.com/100054684943133/ . I also got some lovely Plymouth Rock and Golden Comet(excellent layers) pullets from West Greenwich, Erin 206-9864. We got our gorgeous Wyandottes from Attleboro off of Craigslist as well, they are our top hens and run the flock. All our hens have such different personalities and lay at different rates. We love them! Good luck on your seach, I hope you can purchase your flock locally like we did.

Hello. Sorry about the late reply, I am not on often anymore. We started our flock last year with ISA Brown pullets from Stamp egg farm in Johnston at an excellent price. Lovely girls, so sweet and super friendly, lay eggs almost every day. We got beautiful Speckled Sussex and Lavender Orpington pullets along with Olive and Easter egger hatching eggs from Littleman Poultry
https://m.facebook.com/100054684943133/ . I also got some lovely Plymouth Rock and Golden Comet(excellent layers) pullets from West Greenwich, Erin 206-9864. We got our gorgeous Wyandottes from Attleboro off of Craigslist as well, they are our top hens and run the flock. All our hens have such different personalities and lay at different rates. We love them! Good luck on your seach, I hope you can purchase your flock locally like we did.

Great info....thank you!

Finally dropped off my rooster today. Couldn't wait any longer, he started to crow this weekend at 9 weeks old. Was a chore catching him in the run. Every time I went to grab him, all the ladies would get between him and me. Guess the girls didn't want to lose their "man".
I thought coventry allowed roosters?
Maybe because it would be a noise complaint you didn’t want it?
Hi! I’m in RI too. I know this is thread is really old but thought I would say hello!

Hey Yo from Riverside!

My hubby and I started small with some "classroom born" incubated babies...

Our two RIR's and our Dominique are nearing their fourth week, and have learned how to escape from our brooder box. We researched building our own coop, but hubby found one he really liked from a local farm that produces them, delivers and sets them up so we're hoping for delivery soon while the babies are still tolerant of being indoors. We take them out for short periods of time if the weather is nice, and they already love their dust baths.... We built them a roost last weekend and they already love that too... They're funny to watch!! Our shih-tzu is enthralled with them...

Our coop is going to hold 6 to 8 chickens though... and we're thinking of adding to our little flock just in case our three turn out to be boys.... Does anyone know some good places to go in Rhode Island or over the border mass to buy more little hopefully laying flufflets?

Thanks! :)
Does that local farm still exist?
Where is it? What does that run for a coop and set up? Just a price range no need to tell exact price.

Most of the animal control officers in this area of the state (I’m in WG) work on a complaint basis only…they aren’t out looking for offenses.

So…making friends with the neighbors is good policy (a free dozen eggs every now and then goes a long way).

Back
Top Bottom