Ribh's D'Coopage

Mag.
P8114382.JPG

Punch.
P8114386.JPG

Good morning folks :frow

Jeannie, I love those pics. Grand babies are so much fun, especially when they figure out your rule system.

Shad, I love seeing your birds out and about. I hate locking mine up, but even with the LGD the fox is smarter. So I keep them locked up in a secure coop and run now. I keep toying with different designs that give them different runs each day or two, but that requires funds just not available right now.

Good morning folks :frow

Jeannie, I love those pics. Grand babies are so much fun, especially when they figure out your rule system.

Shad, I love seeing your birds out and about. I hate locking mine up, but even with the LGD the fox is smarter. So I keep them locked up in a secure coop and run now. I keep toying with different designs that give them different runs each day or two, but that requires funds just not available right now.
So far we've been lucky. We do get foxes here but they don't hunt in daylight and they don't last here long. There are a few reasons. Everybody here on this mountain has dogs. Most are farm dogs, not pets. Even the pet dogs are fairly well clued in regarding predators and boundaries.
There are dogs out at night here. The hunters have silent night dogs which will take on a fox and anything else they find.
During the hunting season the hunt dogs traverse most of the land around us. Add to this that farmers will shoot a fox on sight and one can understand that being a fox here is a very high risk business.
I see a fox here slipping down the flood gully at dusk some years. By dusk the chickens are close to the house and close to their coops. The coops are fox proof. Just having them at a decent height off the ground makes breaking in difficult for a fox because he/she can't get decent purchase on two legs. There is no way of digging under of course which is how most coops get broken into. There are easier meals for a fox here than chickens. Just about everyone here agrees that the predator they lose most chickens to is the Goshawk.

So far we've been lucky. We do get foxes here but they don't hunt in daylight and they don't last here long. There are a few reasons. Everybody here on this mountain has dogs. Most are farm dogs, not pets. Even the pet dogs are fairly well clued in regarding predators and boundaries.
There are dogs out at night here. The hunters have silent night dogs which will take on a fox and anything else they find.
During the hunting season the hunt dogs traverse most of the land around us. Add to this that farmers will shoot a fox on sight and one can understand that being a fox here is a very high risk business.
I see a fox here slipping down the flood gully at dusk some years. By dusk the chickens are close to the house and close to their coops. The coops are fox proof. Just having them at a decent height off the ground makes breaking in difficult for a fox because he/she can't get decent purchase on two legs. There is no way of digging under of course which is how most coops get broken into. There are easier meals for a fox here than chickens. Just about everyone here agrees that the predator they lose most chickens to is the Goshawk.
My brother who lives a 10 miles from me, could not park his car in his driveway last night because a fox was standing in it and would not move. My Dad would have smushed the fox. My brother parked on the street. It's funny how civilized he has become. 🦊

Back
Top Bottom