Ribh's D'Coopage

Just had an interesting conversation with Barking Bracket.
I stuck my head in the coop door to find Bracket eating an egg.
Without thinking I said, "you can't do that Bracket".
Bracket who may well be mad but is far from being an imbecile, looks up after wiping the worst of the tell tale yolk off her beak and says,
"you're self evidently incorrect".
Okay clever clogs I reply, "you shouldn't do that".
"Exactly why not?" Bracket asked.
I'm a bit stumped now. I'm left with the choice of owning up to being a selfish greedy egg snatching monster, or a rational friend with her best interests at heart.
Bracket is waiting, head cocked to one side with her beady long range eye fixed on the changes going on in my face. She knows she's got me.
Compromise was what I thought might ease the situation.
"Don't eat any more please", I asked her.
"I only ate that one because we broke it when Hinge came to lay an egg" Bracket informed me, "and I'm not going to eat any more because I won't have any to sit on, will I?" I can't argue with the logic of that and I was just about to say "you can't sit", when the earlier error flashed across my mind. I could just foresee the row when I mentioned I would confiscate the lot if I found her looking broody.
I tried another tack. "it's getting a bit late in the year for hatching"; I hoped it sounded as offhand as intended.
"It doesn't matter here" Bracket said. "If I was in say Finland, you might have a point but since I've been here it hasn't got much below freezing and chicks would be fine with me."
I couldn't help feeling that I wasn't getting anywhere near my desired outcome which was no more egg eating and no more going broody, this year at least.
I did think about bolstering my case with the cost of feed and housing, but I know the type of answer I would get to that and I don't have much of an argument in defense of the you can't live in the trees line of reason.
It started to rain. Bracket looking like a cross between Uriah Heep and Fagin metnions that I'll get terribly wet standing outside given I don't have feathers and I'm terribly delicate with regard to climatic change and suggests I go back to my coop before I'm soaked through.
I left feeling I might have done better if I had just kept my mouth shut.
That's Brilliant! Mrs BY Bob is laughing away! Well done! You have @MaryJanet a run for her money with that one! 😆 🤣 😂

I think it's because you have two needles to juggle with knitting. With crochet it's just one hook.
Much easier to keep track of, and you don't need to worry about your stitches falling off the needle or getting dropped.
Yes, that is definitely part of it. And then there is that 4-needle thing in knitting which makes me anxious even watching someone else do it! :lau :lau

Yes, that is definitely part of it. And then there is that 4-needle thing in knitting which makes me anxious even watching someone else do it! :lau :lau
I've made quite a few hats using that method, as a beginner...it is not for the faint of heart...:gig I have since then learned how to do the magic loop method...so much easier!

Here's a picture of two chemo hats I made last fall for a friend battling breast cancer! I made these using the magic loop method! I can't find the individual close up pictures! I also knit the pink breast cancer awareness ribbon that's on the bag!
Edit: Here is a shot I found of the detail on the green hat! Also a hat I made for my SIL, made one for my Daughter too, but it was solid black!

Forgive me for hijacking your thread Jehane to share knitting projects!!!

Chemo Hats for Kathy.jpg

Chemo Hat Detail.jpg

Hat for Josh.jpg

Last edited:
Are they moulting Ribh? Or is that just dirt hiding their feathers? They always look so odd when they dust bathe don't they?
Patricia has odd markings but Soda has lost a few feathers thanks to Lavender. 🙄 Not sure what sets that girl off but every so often she goes on a feather plucking spree. She doesn't even always eat the feather. :(

Great job realizing what was going on and intercepting her. They really are beautiful birds. Just striking.
I think they are wonderful , if mad as...:gigI am hoping to set up a couple of areas in the new set up if those girls really want to lay outside but I could be fighting an uphill battle to get it established.

Here's a picture of two chemo hats I made last fall for a friend battling breast cancer! I made these using the magic loop method! I can't find the individual close up pictures! I also knit the pink breast cancer awareness ribbon that's on the bag!
Edit: Here is a shot I found of the detail on the green hat! Also a hat I made for my SIL, made one for my Daughter too, but it was solid black!

Forgive me for hijacking your thread Jehane to share knitting projects!!!

View attachment 2340464
View attachment 2340479
View attachment 2340481
I so happy you shared! That's what these threads are all about & so much more fun than hogging it all to myself. :D

Back
Top Bottom