Ribh's D'Coopage

I'm not sure I understand you. If I understood properly that you think differences with a specie that we are born with, are more important than belonging to that specie, I don't agree.
That's not what I mean. I haven't made myself clear. I'll try again at some point in the future.

No go. Éowyn does not allow him to be near me when she is. Not even opposite sides.

About cats anyway I think they are one of the animals I've met for which the notion of geographical space in the definition of territory is extremely important. In my experience they have acted tribal only because of being spayed /neutered.
In my experience I've suspected there's a thing with females and males living together, that's very different from two or more males together. I've also anecdotally heard two females together isn't great but I've not seen it to know. I think Enzo and Eowyn will come to an understanding.

1. Could it be an older female having a male kitten grow up in the household triggers certain innate geographic behaviour? My family had a cat, Pearl, mother of Black Pearl. She was fine with him as he grew up, for about a year or two. (Pearl was spayed after those kittens and Black Pearl was neutered.) Then in the second year or so she seemed to want Black Pearl to move on and move out. She was nasty to him when he was around. They shared the house together but he had to keep his distance. These two friendliest of cats (with humans) could not be cuddly with the same person at the same time.

2. Are female cats more geographically dominant than males in the first place? Of two siblings that grew up together, the tiny 7lb female Millie was totally dominant with her comparatively huge 12lb brother Calvin. I got them as 11 week kittens from a college student who did not keep enough feed out for all the kittens where she kept them, and compact Millie figured out how to navigate very steep stairs to get to the adult's feed bowls, but gangly Calvin couldn't follow. She dominated feeding areas for the rest of her life. After their kittenhood, when every day was a wrestling match and chases followed by naps in each other's arms, they settled into a friendly but much more separately-spaced life together. Calvin was always game for fun with her, but it was Millie who decided whether anything proposed (like a surprise ambush) was actually fun.
Sweet note: when he became ill with diabetes, before we got him on insulin and he recovered, Calvin didn't feel well enough to ambush her and lay resting on the floor. She came over and sniffed his head, then grabbed his neck, trying to wrestle him and get him going, but ended up grooming him, licking his head.

In my experience I've suspected there's a thing with females and males living together, that's very different from two or more males together. I've also anecdotally heard two females together isn't great but I've not seen it to know. I think Enzo and Eowyn will come to an understanding.

1. Could it be an older female having a male kitten grow up in the household triggers certain innate geographic behaviour? My family had a cat, Pearl, mother of Black Pearl. She was fine with him as he grew up, for about a year or two. (Pearl was spayed after those kittens and Black Pearl was neutered.) Then in the second year or so she seemed to want Black Pearl to move on and move out. She was nasty to him when he was around. They shared the house together but he had to keep his distance. These two friendliest of cats (with humans) could not be cuddly with the same person at the same time.

2. Are female cats more geographically dominant than males in the first place? Of two siblings that grew up together, the tiny 7lb female Millie was totally dominant with her comparatively huge 12lb brother Calvin. I got them as 11 week kittens from a college student who did not keep enough feed out for all the kittens where she kept them, and compact Millie figured out how to navigate very steep stairs to get to the adult's feed bowls, but gangly Calvin couldn't follow. She dominated feeding areas for the rest of her life. After their kittenhood, when every day was a wrestling match and chases followed by naps in each other's arms, they settled into a friendly but much more separately-spaced life together. Calvin was always game for fun with her, but it was Millie who decided whether anything proposed (like a surprise ambush) was actually fun.
Sweet note: when he became ill with diabetes, before we got him on insulin and he recovered, Calvin didn't feel well enough to ambush her and lay resting on the floor. She came over and sniffed his head, then grabbed his neck, trying to wrestle him and get him going, but ended up grooming him, licking his head.
I haven’t researched this except from my own embarrassingly extensive experience with cats, but I would say female cats (even neutered) are much more territorial and generally more grumpy about other cats than neutered males.
Almost all my neutered male cats have been pretty easy going. Intact male cats are of course a whole other matter.

I haven’t researched this except from my own embarrassingly extensive experience with cats, but I would say female cats (even neutered) are much more territorial and generally more grumpy about other cats than neutered males.
Almost all my neutered male cats have been pretty easy going. Intact male cats are of course a whole other matter.
Thank you for chiming in, and putting it so succinctly! I so appreciate that ability :lau

Back
Top Bottom