Ribh's D'Coopage

The one benefit to being way behind is that from the hint of a surprise to pics of cute new chicks is only minutes instead of days 😁

None of my cats suckle, but I have a cloth biter🙄 Junko has put holes in several pieces of clothing and a sheet. She also loves sticks. I was hoping it was just a teething issue, but though slowing it continues.
Junko and TankBear
20230923_211405~2.jpg

Merlin
20231112_085737~2.jpg

And a chicken :)
20230531_175746~2.jpg

The one benefit to being way behind is that from the hint of a surprise to pics of cute new chicks is only minutes instead of days 😁

None of my cats suckle, but I have a cloth biter🙄 Junko has put holes in several pieces of clothing and a sheet. She also loves sticks. I was hoping it was just a teething issue, but though slowing it continues.
Junko and TankBear
View attachment 3686862
Merlin
View attachment 3686863
And a chicken :)View attachment 3686866
Jasper was a chewer. You couldn’t leave anything cloth lying around, he would chew it. Now he’s older, he seems to have stopped. :fl

The babies have been enjoying their outdoor time.
After one go @ feeding the midgets separately I've reverted to feeding everyone together as the little girls prefer to muck in with everyone else & scramble for their share of the offerings rather than eat in peace & quiet on their own. I will move the Aracaunas out as soon as possible which will even things up considerably. At present I am putting one lot of food down outside. The extra space & other tempting offerings mean the little girls get a good go @ the chick feed.
20231119_153637.jpg

I wouldn't get a straight Polish because I have hawks & they don't see well with that top~knot but Africa is a Cochin X, & frizzled! 😁 So she has a lot of the characteristics I like while the drawbacks are minimised. She will have some sort of crest but it doesn't look like it will affect her vision.

The chicken I may have made a mistake with is India, the Aracauna/Silkie X. I'm not a fan of Silkies @ all but as she looks far more like an Aracauna than a Silkie. I was hoping for blue eggs & the gentle Aracauna disposition but she is the dominant hen in this little group & asserting herself quite aggressively. We will see. She is more settled this morning. China is quite simply gorgeous~ Lovely to look @ & a very sweet , gentle disposition. Apart from India all these girls should slot into my present tribe nicely. India will get a rude shock when she is moved out into the coop with the big girls. Portia will soon put her in her place! 🤣

Apart from Portia I now have have small standards or bantams but until I have my own place that is probably best.
I love your thought process. Well considered. I should have expected nothing less.

My produce store doesn't often carry chicks ~ & when they do it's either ducklings or ISA Browns but today, while I was picking up some more chick starter ,I spotted these little cuties! Yes, Aracaunas. I was soooo tempted! Aren't they adorable?​
View attachment 3687563
They realy are adorable. 🥰

I love your thought process. Well considered. I should have expected nothing less.
Thanks, Bob. She had straight Polish. Adorable with huge head coronas but I just couldn't. Ha'penny is the last of my older girls. I do still have Wrold & Alpia but they are broody more often than not so the tribe is being led by the not so experienced Portia. She does have Ha'penny to back her up but there's just a long, long tail of young inexperienced birds, mostly true bantams & tiny. If I still had Luna & the rocks I might have considered a Polish as the little girls used them as camaflouge but as it is Portia is not very tolerant of the smaller birds & Ha'penny is as mad as a hatter.

I really needed some calmer birds. Hopefully the Aracaunas...🤞

Back
Top Bottom