Ribh's D'Coopage

Happy almost Caturday.
My lot are exhausted after an epic 6 hour battle with a flying squirrel that somehow got into the house.
It started at midnight. Kept me awake most of the night (a couple of nights ago) and finally concluded at 6am when I managed to persuade the little fella to go outside.
Nightshade (the black one) is the main hunter - but everyone feels they need a nap. Hopefully the squirrel got a nap too once I got him to safety.
View attachment 3714348View attachment 3714349View attachment 3714350View attachment 3714351
I’m glad you saved the flying squirrel. ❤️

CATURDAY HEATWAVE.
We are all suffering through the end of year heatwave. Today's 1st thunderstorm hit before 9am. I couldn't move without stepping on a frightened animal.
It's now 27C & steaming.
No-one is happy. 😥

20231218_190250.jpg

Afrika is a mad woman. When I braved the heat to check on everyone this afternoon she had managed to climb into the pen with the babies. No pictures as I found Sorbet flat on her back with her feet in the air. No idea how long she had been like that but not good.

I toddled Arfika back to the coop & she roosted with China, which is a good sign I think. India is in a nesting box with the broodies.
View attachment 3714291
Sorbet I gave a warm bath to see if I could determine what is going on with her. She happily lay on my hand in the warm water before I wrapped her in a towel to dry off. She was soo relaxed & began dozing in my lap almost immediately. I gave her some vitamins & water as a boost but I can't see anything obviously wrong with her.​

View attachment 3714292

Tootsie was distressed @ being left on her own so I went & got her too.​
View attachment 3714293
I don't know what it is with D'Uccles. Tootsie climbed all over me before settling under my chin.​

View attachment 3714294
As you can see Sorbet's foot feathers are very long. She has lots, many of them broken & new ones feathering in. Tootsie's are not like that being shorter & fewer. I don't know what to think. She doesn't seem sick or lacking balance. If it doesn't sort out a visit to the vet may be in order.​
View attachment 3714295
@RebeccaBoyd knows about feathered feet. Maybe she can help with any issues there.

Roosting Antics.
Higher is always better ~ no matter how uncomfortable.
There is a perfectly good roost lower down but everyone prefers to perch on the wire.

20231230_182232.jpg

Even Afrika was looking to see how she could get up there.
20231230_181649.jpg

India tried the roost but ultimately joined the broodies again.
20231230_180911.jpg

Back
Top Bottom