Ribh's D'Coopage

She likes food with flavor. We season everything we cook and don't over cook the veg. The mashed potatoes there are instant and made with just water. The veg appear to be canned and always over cooked. We use fresh or frozen veg and everything is cooked lightly with butter and sometimes herbs. Once I figure out her menu, I'm thinking about smuggling in some dried herbs to give things a boost.
That actually would be a great strategy. Some extra seasoning would likely go a long way without disrupting the diet they want her on.

Well the pot roast she got yesterday tasted kind of like they tossed it in a pot of water and boiled it to death. Then they cut it with the grain rather than across the grain making it tasteless and tough to chew.

When I make a pot roast, I season one side with Garlic Powder, Onion powder and montreal seasoning an the other with meat magic. Then brown it, lather it up with horse radish, put it in the slow cooker with onions, celery, carrots and potatoes, cover it with beef stock and slow cook it. And of course I cut it across the grain. Oh, and I'll make a gravy out of the stock.
Can I come to your house for dinner sometime? That sounds amazing. 😋

Yeah, hospital food sux. Is she fond of fruit or nuts? What does she like to nibble on? Give her a BIG gentle bear hug from us. And here's one for you. :hugs:hugs
Hospital food is designed to make you waste away. When my Dad was hospitalized in his '90s I kept him alive on smuggled in curry and rice with yoghurt and fruit - all in little pots he could hide.

I feel you @Ribh . I think that Sansa and Aurora's eggs are starting to look the same. I don't even remember what Sydney's eggs look like. With everything a light brown color, size and shape is all I have to determine which is whose.
Yep. I get it, Bob. I have trouble telling my blue layers apart. Mhari sometimes has a little greenish speckling but size, shape & colour are usually almost identical. I have 3 BRs & they are super hard to tell apart. I usually work it out from who's in which nest when. The Frizzle's is a similar colour but thankfully a completely different shape. I now have 2 white layers laying, 2 browns & a white yet to produce anything, & a white moulting but that's Ha'penny & her eggs were getting ginormous so she will be easy to spot again.

I'll take it... :hugs :hugs and will pass it along. She had roast turkey, gravy, green beans, mac & cheese, cornbread and chocolate pudding for dinner last night. We'll see how that went when I get there this morning. She's a big fan of crackers and cheese.
She sounds like me, right down to the crackers and cheese. Our local hospital has a poached salmon and rice dish that I pretty much ate every day I was there. I laughed when they sent up food I didn't even order. I think they were trying to tempt me to eat more! I hope the herbs will help!

We'd been talking about this for ages. In between showers we got the 1st frame up today.
20200619_103411.jpg

She likes food with flavor. We season everything we cook and don't over cook the veg. The mashed potatoes there are instant and made with just water. The veg appear to be canned and always over cooked. We use fresh or frozen veg and everything is cooked lightly with butter and sometimes herbs. Once I figure out her menu, I'm thinking about smuggling in some dried herbs to give things a boost.
Apart from the cost of hospital food they tend to make it bland deliberately.

Well the pot roast she got yesterday tasted kind of like they tossed it in a pot of water and boiled it to death. Then they cut it with the grain rather than across the grain making it tasteless and tough to chew.

When I make a pot roast, I season one side with Garlic Powder, Onion powder and montreal seasoning an the other with meat magic. Then brown it, lather it up with horse radish, put it in the slow cooker with onions, celery, carrots and potatoes, cover it with beef stock and slow cook it. And of course I cut it across the grain. Oh, and I'll make a gravy out of the stock.
I'm on my way round.:p

Back
Top Bottom