Ribh's D'Coopage

In the box next to Alpia was Luna.
I was super pleased to see her looking her usual calm self.
View attachment 2344408
Then I noticed this.
It is wedged down between her comb & her head & I think it is a paralysis tick!🤢
View attachment 2344415

These are the devil to get out but I learnt a trick when I had a cat who would always get ticks on his eyelids. Ever tried removing a tick from a cat's eyelid? It can't be done. So a bit of vaseline, or in this case, Black Ointment, to smother it & they will start backing out on their own before dying.

We have been having a bad start to the tick season having had rain when we shouldn't & hens are pretty good about cleaning them up usually but I have never seen this before! 🙄

I'm starting to feel quite defeated.​
Ticks give me the heebeejeebee's...I seriously hate them...I hope it is gone quickly!

Looks like Shad has completely crashed & burned....?

I put Luna back in with the girls yesterday afternoon. Eyes, nostrils, beak were all clear. No rattling in her chest. Great appetite. Drinking & pooping normally. Laid her usual good sized egg. I couldn't justify keeping her separated any longer & I hate the roosting trauma when a girl is on her own. They get so desperate to join everyone else ~ so back she went, & very relieved she was too!​
If we are assuming some kind of an allergy then anything that keeps them apart adds stress and that risks further sickness as well. Good to move her back.

If we are assuming some kind of an allergy then anything that keeps them apart adds stress and that risks further sickness as well. Good to move her back.
Thanks, Bob. It all happened so quickly & I'm not very experienced with sickness. I usually play a wait & see game & hope I've called it right.

Back
Top Bottom