Ribh's D'Coopage

Pretty basket and lovely willow pattern plates!
I can see wanting eggs of similar sizes (eg for baking) but funny that people would be so picky when you are gifting eggs!
Yep. I don't know any of them well enough to ask but I do think it's odd. And one only really needs a couple of eggs the same size for baking, so a mix shouldn't be a huge problem... :idunno

I love my willow pattern! :loveMy favourite Aunt had these when I was growing up & I finally have my own set! I love Blue & White china. I also like it's rather bizarre origins. The designers invented this whole star crossed lovers story & designed their china around that but for ages people thought the story was actually true... :lau oops.

Yes, I remember the star-crossed lovers escaping and turning into birds.
I have a few willow pattern plates left by my grandmother (I think), and years ago I supplemented them with this modern interpretation.
I think the modern version of the pattern is quite fun - particularly given the story - but the actual plate is too flat to be really satisfying. The inherited ones, just like yours, have a better ‘lip’ to them, so I prefer using them.
4A2210F7-8F2D-426F-BA9C-248EC820CD12.jpeg
F64096E3-897F-4375-85B8-95FA90A4B1F4.jpeg
F06C84E4-C959-49FB-AC45-E2AA6D52D18B.jpeg
F289FB27-7D83-4129-9DEF-F598CB56F9E8.jpeg

Yes, I remember the star-crossed lovers escaping and turning into birds.
I have a few willow pattern plates left by my grandmother (I think), and years ago I supplemented them with this modern interpretation.
I think the modern version of the pattern is quite fun - particularly given the story - but the actual plate is too flat to be really satisfying. The inherited ones, just like yours, have a better ‘lip’ to them, so I prefer using them. View attachment 2385964View attachment 2385965View attachment 2385966View attachment 2385967
The older ones are more detailed but those new ones [which I haven't seen before] are quite fun too. It is a much more defined pattern & broken up into the component parts of the story. :)

Some time ago @rjohns39 & @Grammy60 gifted me this lovely handmade basket.
Most of the people I regularly gift eggs to hang onto their cartons for me & I divvy the eggs up in such a way everyone gets a mix of large ~small, blue, white & brown eggs.
I recently ran out of cartons so have been putting my 3~4 dozen in the basket & just asking people to take what they can use from it. It has been an interesting exercise in people watching.

Who ever gets 1st choice usually takes all the biggest eggs but the 7th Day Adventists always take the brown eggs first. The guy with the daschunds always takes all the blue eggs ~ as does the chef. The small white eggs are least popular of all & whoever is last tends to get left with those.

They all taste the same. :confused:
Everyone throws the shells away.:idunno

So who has a preference?
View attachment 2385903
What a lovely basket!
It's funny to watch people & see the differences in what they are drawn to! I eat whichever eggs are oldest first & usually give my husband the largest eggs...he is bigger than me, so needs more sustenance...:gig

Something I have found that is a great success with my girls is comfrey.

I've planted it outside the chook run and they love poking their beaks through and picking bits off the leaves.
View attachment 2377141
Comfrey is supposed to be one of thosecextra special plants for chickens. I need to get some!

But of course...😉
Marmite soldiers for me.
They are called soldiers because they are 'precision' cut slices of toast.
Take one slice of toast, preferbly buttered with topping of chioce and cut lengthways in one inch wide strips. It's these strips that you dip into the yolk of a soft boiled egg.

Back
Top Bottom