Ribh's D'Coopage

We had a fantastic moonrise last night though my pic doesn't do it justice & is nowhere near as good as @drstratton's telescope ones
20210725_184214.jpg

It was not quite 8C when I got up this morning. The girls coop & run is set up to deal with our summer weather so the girls will be scrambling to find any patch of sunshine this morning.
Here is Oshina showing off her lovely blue speckles.​
View attachment 2773358
She looks like she belongs as an ice Princess in a ballet

I'd like to hear from everyone who experiences snow in winter: what are your best tips for keeping yourself warm?
I don't start out cold if I can help it, or if I do, I make my muscles work to generate heat and warm up quickly. Chosen clothing must retain heat and keep me dry, hands and feet included, maybe those are most important in the suffering department, I had frostbite or close to it once and my fingers are sensitive. Thermal underclothes top to bottom, with a moisture-wicking underlayer to that. Feet stay warm best with warm legs, the blood going there shouldn't be cooling off on the way, IMO, I can't see how people go out with just jeans on and then wear big puffy jackets to compensate and they seem happy. Anyway, layers over all for more insulation and/or wind-blocking, but they must be layered & removeable for varying degrees of activity. Hands - I wear large woolen mittens, sometimes doubled up, with merino wool gloves underneath for exercise. For work around the house & woods & chickens -- insulated work gloves which I change out once or twice as they get damp. I exchange them for ones near the wood stove. Feet stay warmest with sock liners and wool socks doubled or not inside a waterproof boot, again switching out to warm dry ones when necessary.
I would not survive an artic or antartic stranding. The early explorers were really tough.

I don't start out cold if I can help it, or if I do, I make my muscles work to generate heat and warm up quickly. Chosen clothing must retain heat and keep me dry, hands and feet included, maybe those are most important in the suffering department, I had frostbite or close to it once and my fingers are sensitive. Thermal underclothes top to bottom, with a moisture-wicking underlayer to that. Feet stay warm best with warm legs, the blood going there shouldn't be cooling off on the way, IMO, I can't see how people go out with just jeans on and then wear big puffy jackets to compensate and they seem happy. Anyway, layers over all for more insulation and/or wind-blocking, but they must be layered & removeable for varying degrees of activity. Hands - I wear large woolen mittens, sometimes doubled up, with merino wool gloves underneath for exercise. For work around the house & woods & chickens -- insulated work gloves which I change out once or twice as they get damp. I exchange them for ones near the wood stove. Feet stay warmest with sock liners and wool socks doubled or not inside a waterproof boot, again switching out to warm dry ones when necessary.
I would not survive an artic or antartic stranding. The early explorers were really tough.
Wow. I don't think I would survive your winters! 😲 I have trouble generating enough body heat to trap heat between layers & so am nearly always cold ~ even in the middle of summer.

We had a fantastic moonrise last night though my pic doesn't do it justice & is nowhere near as good as @drstratton's telescope ones
View attachment 2773450
That's beautiful, I love it! I couldn't get a shot like that with my phone camera! Here's my moon & Saturn pictures for those that haven't seen them. I hope this is okay @Ribh?
20210717_211039.jpg
20210718_024454.jpg

Thanks! I believe half my problem is the stillness of desk work, which takes up every day from morning till I feed the cat and tend the hens around 4 and then starts again around 6 for a few more hours.

Back
Top Bottom