Ribh's D'Coopage

Normally I try to break them. They go in the small coop without any eggs & are usually done in 3 days. I am considering fertile eggs if my older girls decide to sit this year. My Wyandotte bantams were chronic last year but they are 2~3 yrs old this year & determined so if they go I will try for eggs.

Ceres went ferile before they got locked in their run & had 6 eggs in a hidden nest & had set before I found her. She is 1 of my younger hens & I'd prefer the younger ones not sit.
It's so hard to know what to do with serial broodies. On the one hand I admire their determination, but on the other hand they drive me crazy! :barnie

It's so hard to know what to do with serial broodies. On the one hand I admire their determination, but on the other hand they drive me crazy! :barnie
I totally get it. I just about went demented last year. My Wyndotte bantams were constantly broody & setting off others in my tribe. I don't have a rooster & no easy access to eggs so this was not great news. This year I have somewhere I may be able to get fertile eggs from so if I have older hens decide they want to brood I may give them a go.

Calling experienced Brooders: @BY Bob, @CrazyChookChookLady , @Shadrach [if you're round], @Blazinga ? @micstrachan @ChicoryBlue ?

I have 2 issues I am trying to resolve.
  • Getting my hands on more Campines
  • & dealing with this year's inevitable broodies.
After a lot of hunting round I have found a breeder who does both Campine & Aracauna eggs. She is about 2 hours away from me & prefers not to ship her eggs so I would have to go pick them up.

I've never done this before so need my older bantams [who are most likely to go broody on me] to be ready before I line up eggs. However I have questions...
I have a lot of hens & last year they went berko @ the broodies ~ understandably in my opinion ~ so I would prefer any broodies brood in the small coop.
  • Once I'm sure I have a broody would it be possible to move her onto a nest in the small coop?
  • I think I have to get a dozen eggs [I'm thinking 6 of both Campines & Aracaunas] These are medium sized eggs so how many can I reasonably expect a Wyandotte bantam to cover without too much stress?
  • Am I insane to even try this?
  • What do I need to know that hasn't even occured to me?

Last edited:
Calling experienced Brooders: @BY Bob, @CrazyChookChookLady , @Shadrach [if you're round], @Blazinga ? @micstrachan @ChicoryBlue ?

I have 2 issues I am trying to resolve.
  • Getting my hands on more Campines
  • & dealing with this year's inevitable broodies.
After a lot of hunting round I have found a breeder who does both Campine & Aracauna eggs. She is about 2 hours away from me & prefers not to ship her eggs so I would have to go pick them up.

I've never done this before so need my older bantams [who are most likely to go broody on me] to be ready before I line up eggs. However I have questions...
I have a lot of hens & last year they went berko @ the broodies ~ understandably in my opinion ~ so I would prefer any broodies brood in the small coop.
  • Once I'm sure I have a broody would it be possible to move her onto a nest in the small coop?
  • I think I have to get a dozen eggs [I'm thinking 6 of both Campines & Aracaunas] These are medium sized eggs so how many can I reasonably expect a Wyandotte bantam to cover without too much stress?
  • Am I insane to even try this?
  • What do I need to know that hasn't even occured to me?
When we had our Banty's we had a few girls disappear and then reappear with a batch of chicks. If I remember correctly one of them had 10 chicks with her. So they can sit on & hatch quite a few. Mine were totally free ranged at that time. I never tried to move a broody, but I think you should be able too, especially if you can close them up in the small coop area. Hopefully someone will chime in with more knowledge on it than I have. This will be so much fun!

When we had our Banty's we had a few girls disappear and then reappear with a batch of chicks. If I remember correctly one of them had 10 chicks with her. So they can sit on & hatch quite a few. Mine were totally free ranged at that time. I never tried to move a broody, but I think you should be able too, especially if you can close them up in the small coop area. Hopefully someone will chime in with more knowledge on it than I have. This will be so much fun!
Thank you for chiming in. I'd forgotten you raised banties. I've had one go feral on me but as her eggs were infertile, when I found her nest I destroyed it & moved her back into the coop. She had 6 banty eggs under her but as she'd only just started laying I thought she was hugely ambitious!

Thank you for chiming in. I'd forgotten you raised banties. I've had one go feral on me but as her eggs were infertile, when I found her nest I destroyed it & moved her back into the coop. She had 6 banty eggs under her but as she'd only just started laying I thought she was hugely ambitious!
Hopefully you will have at least two, but maybe preferably 3 go broody at the same time. But I think 2 would be sufficient for 12 eggs. If you have a 3rd go broody soon after your girls are sitting, you should be able to move some eggs under her too.

@ACM: Have you started putting things back in the kitchen yet?
We got to use the kitchen for the first time this afternoon!

There are still 3 doors to be installed and shelves to put up but we can use it! :wee

PXL_20210809_012323056.jpg
PXL_20210809_012340788.jpg

We started packing things back in cupboards. There are lots of boxes to sort through so it may be a few days before I can get my little teapots and tea pet set up. Hopefully it will be in time for Coffee Klatch Wednesday. 😁

We got to use the kitchen for the first time this afternoon!

There are still 3 doors to be installed and shelves to put up but we can use it! :wee

View attachment 2791231View attachment 2791232
We started packing things back in cupboards. There are lots of boxes to sort through so it may be a few days before I can get my little teapots and tea pet set up. Hopefully it will be in time for Coffee Klatch Wednesday. 😁
I love your tap & the stickers on the windows. 🥰

Back
Top Bottom