ridge vent and drip edge questions

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by floridagramps1, Dec 27, 2011.

  1. floridagramps1

    floridagramps1 Out Of The Brooder

    Dec 13, 2011
    Purchased my shingles at HD today. They had no ridge vent

    HD expert told me to buy 3 filters 1x24x36 and cut them to fit over ridge vent opening. Same expert told me that I only need drip edge for horizontal edge of roof.

    Is this good advice???????????????

    I have 6 in 12 slope, 1/2 inch OSB and a roll of felt#15
  2. Fred's Hens

    Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

    It would work, to some degree, but I'd be quite unhappy with the restricted air flow and a barn/coop isn't like a house. The dust trapping would soon clog those filters, in my view, and restrict them even further.

    Two of these "mushroom" type cap vents, placed up high, almost to the top of the ridge, would be my second choice. http://www.google.com/products/catalog?client=safari&rls=en&q=roof+vent&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=7015854166201405700&sa=X&ei=A7L5TsD9Murf0QHu4rSUAg&ved=0CKIBEPICMAU#ps-sellers

    guys didn't use drip edge along the sides, only the bottom, but I am NOT one of those guys. Put it along the side runs as well. Also, make sure you don't cut your shingles off flush with the sides and bottom. Always cut the shingle with 1/2 to 3/4 inch surplus hanging out over the drip edge. Shingles shrink with age and this allows for that. If you cut them flush, in 7 years, the shingles will shrink back and this often creates a source of back leaking.
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  3. jerryb

    jerryb Chillin' With My Peeps

    Oct 7, 2011
    Southern Michigan
    also remember that the felt goes over the drip edge at the eave and under the drip edge on the gable ends. so you install the drip edge on the eave (horizontal) first, then felt, then drip edge the gable ends. this will help a lot with avoiding leaks.

  4. Ridgerunner

    Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

    Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Sometimes I make things I have work, but in this case, if Home Depot does not have a ridge vent, I'd probably check out Lowe's or a Lumber/Hardware store. You might see if HD can order it for you where you can avoid shipping charges.

    In Florida, you should not have to worry about snow blocking a ridge vent and good ventilation will be very important to you this summer. I would not mess around with this one. A ridge vent would not be my only ventilation either, but you've probably got that covered.
  5. Chris09

    Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

    Jun 1, 2009
    Ridge Vent-
    Home Depot http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100000023/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

    listen to that "expert", get the right stuff the first time and do it right.
    For installing drip edge it go on both eaves and gable ends.

    Underlayment would be you Felt Paper, Freeze Guard rubber membrane or WeatherBond Black EPDM rubber membrane

    Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  6. Ole rooster

    Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

    Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    You also can go to a company that provides metal roofing for contractors. We have one here in Griffin. The ridge vent is only a strip of metal formed to set on the ridge that mount perpendicular to the roofing corrugation. In a large way the amount of air allowed to vent is determinded by how wide you place the lathing for the roof. I like at least 6 inches on either side of center of the ridge. Be sure to cover the open area with screen wire prior to putting the metal vent cover down. That will keep out little creatures and snakes.

    I've found HD, Lowes and such places won't carry what you need. Try to find a supplier. Just tell um you need a ridge vent cover.
  7. Bear Foot Farm

    Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

    Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    HD expert

    I think what you mean is some guy who works there, probably for near minimum wage, who most likely had no prior knowledge of building materials, but who figures you will take his advice when he tries to SELL you something in stock rather than taking a chance you'll go somewhere else to buy what you really need​
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  8. jerryb

    jerryb Chillin' With My Peeps

    Oct 7, 2011
    Southern Michigan

    thanks for the help in showing what I was getting at.

  9. floridagramps1

    floridagramps1 Out Of The Brooder

    Dec 13, 2011
    thanks guys
    you are making me lots smarter
  10. ChickenCanoe

    ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

    Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    All good advice so far.
    I would add a bit of caution. The first two buildings had ridge vents and help most of the time but I think you need more like gable vents.
    If you get snow, a snow covered ridge vent is worthless.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by