Right to raise/grow your own food (Vent)

We have a law in Michigan called the "Right to Farm Act". It's a good thing, more places should have it.

My family and I live in a rural part of Missouri. We have five children and my wife and I both have to work outside the home. We are both 36 years old and I wouldn't even say we are middle class. We are working class. We love the Lord, we work hard, we love our kids, and are doing our darndest to teach them right. We have become stewards of our land that we work hard to pay for. We have our chickens, rabbits, ducks, pigs, and goats that help supplement us.

My point is, I have never been much of a complainer; but folks, I am getting tired. Tired of paying $3.87 at the pump for poor quality gasoline. Tired of Paying $250 for groceries that cost us $175 in December 2007. Tired of the high cost of medical insurance for my family, not to mention having to meet a "minimum" before insurance will kick in. Tired of seeing my tax dollars go oversees to provide relief to some unappreciative people, when U.S. Veterans are in need here, in OUR country. Tired of everything I pick up at the store having a "made in China, Korea, Thailand, or Mexico" sticker on it. Tired of politicians giving me a line of chicken poop about how they will fix our country. Sorry chicken poop is too good for them. I am tired of our country and our people not sticking up for itself and being so afraid of being sued. We are told that if we defend ourselves we will be sued. If we discipline our children, we will go to jail. Would someone please tell me what ever happened to RIGHT AND WRONG? We all know what right and wrong is. Somewhere deep down, remember when you were a kid and your parenst taught it to you or when you spent the summers with your grandparents. Now, those folks know right and wrong and I know that they tried to show it to us.

Now, there are municipalities or community groups who tell good people that they cannot have a few chickens or tomato plants. If someone chooses to supplement their groceries or make a couple of dollars a week selling eggs, whose business is it? So a rooster crows at daylight. You should not have been out drinking all night. So the poop don't smell that great. I don't like listening to your car stereo or listen to you fight with your wife. WHAT HAVE WE COME TO? If anyone reading this serves on such a board or decision making committee, you should be ashamed of yourself. There are far greater battles to be fought than people and their chickens. I believe in the motto of "to each his own". But I also live by "Don't Tread On Me".

Folks, I define a "victim" as someone who chooses to be. You are only a victim as long as you roll over and take it and choose to take it. "Victors" are those who make a decision that they will not allow themselves to be victimized.

* Oh, sure-- you can have it all -- with NAIS compliance. A lot of these programs are quickly being sew into the package to make it a MUCH prettier pill.
hmm.png

Ole'Brothersfarm :

My family and I live in a rural part of Missouri. We have five children and my wife and I both have to work outside the home. We are both 36 years old and I wouldn't even say we are middle class. We are working class. We love the Lord, we work hard, we love our kids, and are doing our darndest to teach them right. We have become stewards of our land that we work hard to pay for. We have our chickens, rabbits, ducks, pigs, and goats that help supplement us.

My point is, I have never been much of a complainer; but folks, I am getting tired. Tired of paying $3.87 at the pump for poor quality gasoline. Tired of Paying $250 for groceries that cost us $175 in December 2007. Tired of the high cost of medical insurance for my family, not to mention having to meet a "minimum" before insurance will kick in. Tired of seeing my tax dollars go oversees to provide relief to some unappreciative people, when U.S. Veterans are in need here, in OUR country. Tired of everything I pick up at the store having a "made in China, Korea, Thailand, or Mexico" sticker on it. Tired of politicians giving me a line of chicken poop about how they will fix our country. Sorry chicken poop is too good for them. I am tired of our country and our people not sticking up for itself and being so afraid of being sued. We are told that if we defend ourselves we will be sued. If we discipline our children, we will go to jail. Would someone please tell me what ever happened to RIGHT AND WRONG? We all know what right and wrong is. Somewhere deep down, remember when you were a kid and your parenst taught it to you or when you spent the summers with your grandparents. Now, those folks know right and wrong and I know that they tried to show it to us.

Now, there are municipalities or community groups who tell good people that they cannot have a few chickens or tomato plants. If someone chooses to supplement their groceries or make a couple of dollars a week selling eggs, whose business is it? So a rooster crows at daylight. You should not have been out drinking all night. So the poop don't smell that great. I don't like listening to your car stereo or listen to you fight with your wife. WHAT HAVE WE COME TO? If anyone reading this serves on such a board or decision making committee, you should be ashamed of yourself. There are far greater battles to be fought than people and their chickens. I believe in the motto of "to each his own". But I also live by "Don't Tread On Me".

Folks, I define a "victim" as someone who chooses to be. You are only a victim as long as you roll over and take it and choose to take it. "Victors" are those who make a decision that they will not allow themselves to be victimized.

Very well put. I'm bone-weary, too. I have a right to grow food for my family and that's all I want to do. ..I just want to feed my family and be left alone. I haven't asked for anything from the govt. My husband is one of those disabled retired veterans who was promised free health care for life. Well, by the time he retired, they welched on that deal and now we have to pay for insurance that they want to double the rates on. AND, not all doctors will take the military insurance because they dont pay that well. Things are getting very dark here. We need a real American Revolution, to put our foot down.​

Quote:
Very well put. I'm bone-weary, too. I have a right to grow food for my family and that's all I want to do. ..I just want to feed my family and be left alone. I haven't asked for anything from the govt. My husband is one of those disabled retired veterans who was promised free health care for life. Well, by the time he retired, they welched on that deal and now we have to pay for insurance that they want to double the rates on. AND, not all doctors will take the military insurance because they dont pay that well. Things are getting very dark here. We need a real American Revolution, to put our foot down.

Amen

OK I 'cannot' stop myself from commenting on this subject, it's so very, very complicated. Its been something I've been seeing comming at all of us (comfortable people of the world) like a freight train since I was old enough to start thinking of this stuff (mid 70's), no one ever mentions "overpopulation" it's like it can't be brought up because it's verboten. I know numerous families with over 5 (or 8) kids and believe me when those kids graduate high school there out of the house, no college, sometimes not even a high school diploma, not much ability to support them selves beyond minimum wage jobs and I just don't get it.

I personally didn't want kids, and I would never deny (most) people the right to have kids but I just feel like sometimes people have kids and don't ever think about the fact that you are then bascically responsible for that child for the rest of you life?

I really don't want to offend anyone and hope I don't but it is something that connects to this topic in a big way and as far as I can tell all of us middle age people of the world at this time have rode the peak of the wave of "the good life" and it's all down hill from now on with drought, famine, flood, fire and the final poisioning of our home the earth. I really feel bad for the children growing up right now who don't have some self-sufficiency taught to them. As far as I'm concerned people who want there kids to thrive in the comming world need to teach survival skills and th REAL facts of life.

I hope I haven't gotten too many people upset but this is my personal thought process. As far as I've seen, we as Americans have had the highest living standards on the earth, ever, we expect it, we think we deserve it, Why is that?

Quote:
They must have really liked the house.

When I moved to New Mexico I looked at a number of lots in what had been ranches and then subdivided. All the subdivisions had covenants and restrictions. Now realize, this is in the largest county in the state, entirely rural except for a few small towns. The lots probably averaged 5 acres or more each and had no utilities, just undeveloped land. I bought 40 acres from an individual and had no covenants and restrictions. Just had to fence my land if I wanted to keep cattle OUT.

can you hear me now? :

Not that I can sympathize because I live in the country, but I am in total agreement. I think raising chickens should be a basic thing. Not that I am into conspiracy theory but I do see our country hitting hard times. When it comes and nobody has money to buy store bought eggs and meat, what are they going to do to feed themselves?Living where I do, not too far from Cackle Hatchery, i have been told they have sold more chickens this year than any other year on record. I know it makes me think and wonder.

Good points but how realistic. I believe that it is cheaper to buy eggs and chickens that it is to buy feed. It could change though.

I suppose if you were completely or almost completely self sufficient it would be a different story. Feed the birds nothing but scraps, what you grow, and forage for everything else.​

Back
Top Bottom