Rigor lasting days & days...

Thanks @cornfedhogedito - that makes lots of sense. Wonder what room temperature means? Or if you have to pick a perfect fall day when it's 55 F outside & let them rest out there? I will look up that book. Please come back to this thread to post on your meat birds so I get a notification, I'm thinking about raising some, but maybe time of year would be important for harvest. I can't have 15 birds in the fridge for days!!!

My house was above 65°F, doors and windows opened and my wife who is lays cold wasn't cold. I would think that a comfortable temp for "normal" people during the 4 to 6 hours would work. I say normal because I wear t shirts when it' in the mid 40s!

If the thigh is soft then it's past rigor. Just us a little force to get the joint started. I bet once you loosen the tendon it moves freely.

Agreed! Sometimes those cockerels are like that - you'll probably find the leg meat is really dark, too. Like above, you'll just need to force the legs down.

Thanks @cornfedhogedito - that makes lots of sense. Wonder what room temperature means? Or if you have to pick a perfect fall day when it's 55 F outside & let them rest out there? I will look up that book. Please come back to this thread to post on your meat birds so I get a notification, I'm thinking about raising some, but maybe time of year would be important for harvest. I can't have 15 birds in the fridge for days!!!
I will update if I can get some meat birds to survive shipping!

Back
Top Bottom