Rigor Question

m7boondocker

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 28, 2013
Hello Everyone,
Getting ready to butcher and processor about 30 Cornish Cross chicken this weekend and next. Here is a picture of them about a month ago (they are much much bigger now) in their new tractor I built!

Anyway, my question is, do I have to leave them refrigerator until the rigor leaves before I freeze them, or can I freeze them right of way. Whizbang's blog seems to imply they just process and freeze right of way (http://butcherachicken.blogspot.com/2007/09/step-10-cutting-bagging-for-freezing.html), which would be preferable as my refrigerator space is very limited and would take me about 3 weeks to get through all of them. Makes sense to let sit before eating, but would the rigor leave if they are frozen.

Thanks in advance.

Good question. I run a processing facility where we handle beef, pork, deer, and a variety of other animals including poultry. It takes Thirty six hours from the time of slaughter for the rigor to leave the carcass. A good way to hold the birds is in an ice chest for a couple of days before butchering and freezing. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the guidance, this is my first time doing this and your help is appreciated.

My plan right now is to vacuum seal the whole and cutup chicken parts. Another thread on this forum said leaving the chickens in water can dilute the flavor, so do you think I should cut them up, vacuum seal them, and then let the rest, or should I let the rest whole in maybe a "temporary" bag in a water/ice bath, then take them out cut up and vacuum.

Leave them whole so less of the meat is exposed. If possible let the birds sit on ice and let the water drain to prevent the meat from losing too much flavor. Make your final cuts 36 to 48 hours after slaughter and vacuum seal.

Thanks again, I'll give that try for the first round and see how it goes. I should easily be able to hold 10 or 15 birds in my big white cooler until processing time.

Very old thread, but pertinent to my question:
I have let birds "rest" in my fridge for up to 72 hrs and they still seem to be in rigor. I read here about holding them on ice in a cooler, but that's colder than my fridge.
How long does it normally take for rigor to subside?
I grilled a fresh (same day butchered) last night and it was like shoe leather! What a disappointment.
I've heard all sorts of theories (old and new) on "aging" birds before processing, but I'm not about to hang 'em in the shed by the neck until they fall to the floor. Haha.
I am processing 18 birds this year, and would like some advice so I end up with frying/grilling birds, instead of a freezer full of stewing hens!
Thanks in advance.

Your chickens need to be butchered at or before 16 weeks of age to be tender enough to fry or grill.

Are they bagged in the fridge or in open air? Open air can dry the skin and that alone can hold the joints in place and toughen the meat. If they're bagged up and moist, give it another day. 4 days is not unusual.

Your chickens need to be butchered at or before 16 weeks of age to be tender enough to fry or grill.

Are they bagged in the fridge or in open air? Open air can dry the skin and that alone can hold the joints in place and toughen the meat. If they're bagged up and moist, give it another day. 4 days is not unusual.
9 1/2 weeks
Bagged
Giving it 48hrs before checking.
Up to 4 days? Okay...thanks for the reply.

Back
Top Bottom