ring neck questions

1shotcleaner

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 17, 2011
duke center pa 16729
hi i picked up a few pairs of ring neck pheasants they were all in the same cage so i put them all in the same pen, well that didn't work one dead cock and one almost dead. so i removed the injured one and ofcorse the deceased one.now i have three hens with one cock is this OK will they bread like this? also i have blinders and want to know how to install them.

Can't tell you about blinders really, but yes....your pheasants will be fine with one male and three hens. He will happily breed.
Don't put the injured guy back in. If anything take a hen out for him and put them in a separate pen.

one rooster will breed with as many hens as he can, if you put 2 or more roosters in the same pen they will fight till theres one victor, in the wild the loser knows he's beaten and flies away, in a pen one will kill the other, youre lucky you got him out alive

The problem you may have is that some roosters, especially aggressive ones that kill the other roosters, will become super aggressive in the Spring with only three hens. He should really have 5 or 6 hens or he may harass them to death trying to mate repeatedly. They get crazy. They eat the eggs. I get an excellent fertility rate at 6:1. Roosters must be kept separate or they will spend their free time killing one another instead of mating. Usually they rip out the back of each others head or neck, and its bloody. You can try clipping the beaks, but then they will spur each other.

Editing to make sure you know I am talking about ring necked pheasants.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom