RingNeck Dove Breeding

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by usschicago1, Aug 18, 2011.

1. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    How old are doves before they are ready to mate? I have two females born April 23, and a male about two years old. I mean how old can they healthily reproduce.

Thanks so much [​IMG]

Mark

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  2. DuranAndy

DuranAndy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Utah
    I would give them at least a year before you breed them. So your girls should be ready by next April.

3. usschicago1

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Quote:Okay Great, Thanks [​IMG]

4. ridinglizzard

ridinglizzard Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2010
    I would say a year too. Although I noticed tonight that one of my young females homers (born early this spring) was setting on an egg today. She definitely doesn't look like she knows what she is doing though...

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    The 'big guys' in the ADA recommend waiting until they are at least 9 months old [​IMG]

6. Lofty Dreams

Lofty Dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Minnesota
    Most pigeons can breed when their six months old although it is best to wait a year. I think this should apply to doves as well.

7. usschicago1

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Thanks Everyone [​IMG]

8. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    I let mine breed when they are ready [​IMG] I don't force them or try to speed it up.

9. usschicago1

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Quote:Oh Okay :) I was just worried about them being to young and giving all there nutrients to there young and them becoming malnourished. Im glad I dont have to worry [​IMG]

The Male is so friendly. He actually flys to me when I walk in the cage and lands on my arm ! He loves to be stoked on the neck and under his beak. Such a good bird. The females on the other hand! Want nothing to do with me ![​IMG]

10. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

So female ring necks should be a year old prior to expecting them to produce eggs and sit on them? I have a male who is obviously a male....does the bowing and cooing thing at anything that walks by. I got him what I think is a young female. They mated many times in the beginning of their introductions, did some preening next to and to each other...all the normal stuff. The male built a nest with my help and now the two take turns sitting on the nest but no egg. Im wondering if the female is either not a female or is too young. Im new to owning doves. My experience is with chickens. Im hoping for babies from them but Im wondering if I indeed have a mating pair. Do both the male and female make the same cooing sounds?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by