Ringneck pheasant hen mating with my rooster

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by Chicks5, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Chicks5

Chicks5 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2014
    My lovely ringneck pheasant has preferred to mate with my Ameraucana rooster. How soon can we expect eggs (they are now mating). I look forward to hearing from you.

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    If mating is successful then the eggs that would come in about 3 days may be fertile. I HAVE DOUBTS THAT IT IS POSSIBLE. I know that dogs cant mate with cats. Never heard of pheasant chickens. But maybe it is possible in some forgotten laboratory in a forgotten part of the former USSR.
    [​IMG]

3. Chicks5

Chicks5 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2014
    I love your sense of humor!!! I have read that chicken/pheasant hybrids are possible but the development of the chick can be problematic. Some don't develop properly and die in the egg, but some do survive after hatching. A confession ... I am one of those crazy scientist (but not too crazy) and would love to see a viable chick. If some do survive I will send you the first pictures. Thank you very much for responding!

Gail

4. maxsgoldens

maxsgoldens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2015
    west Yorkshire, UK
    Its definitely possible and quite common when pheasants are kept with chickens

5. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by