Ringneck Pheasant info page *warning lots of PICS*

Pics
Hi
I have red neck pheasents at home, and it is breeding time (here in New Zealand)
My question is why are pheasents eating and peaking at their eggs , if I don't collect fast enough they will eat them

Thank you. I have 11 ringneck eggs in my rcom incubator. They were put in sunday and must hatch the 26 November here in South Afrika

I am wondering if I need to do anything different for a winter cage. I keep worrying about my african ring neck pheasant pair. Its supposed to be 39 degrees F over night tonight. Will they die if they dont have a heat source or brush to hide in? Their cage is netting on all four sides but i covered with pressed wood sheets on all 4 sides to keep as much cold out as possible and left a few spots open. But i am worried it'll be too cold and they'll freeze. What is the lowest temperature that is not too cold for them if they are sleeping on the ground in simi enclosed cage with no bottom?
I noticed pheasants and quails dont snuggle together like chickens do.
Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
I am wondering if I need to do anything different for a winter cage. I keep worrying about my african ring neck pheasant pair. Its supposed to be 39 degrees F over night tonight. Will they die if they dont have a heat source or brush to hide in? Their cage is netting on all four sides but i covered with pressed wood sheets on all 4 sides to keep as much cold out as possible and left a few spots open. But i am worried it'll be too cold and they'll freeze. What is the lowest temperature that is not too cold for them if they are sleeping on the ground in simi enclosed cage with no bottom?
I noticed pheasants and quails dont snuggle together like chickens do.
Thanks for your help
They'll be fine.Do you mean Chinese ringneck?I've never heard of African ringneck.Pheasants in the wild will bury themselves under the snow to keep warm.Never give them heat that is very bad for all birds,except the ones that require heat.Just make their pen so no drafts can get to them while they are roosting.You may want to give them some electrolytes and vitamins in their water maybe once a month and some black oil sunflower seeds,not the regular sunflower.
In N.H.,Tony.

They'll be fine.Do you mean Chinese ringneck?I've never heard of African ringneck.Pheasants in the wild will bury themselves under the snow to keep warm.Never give them heat that is very bad for all birds,except the ones that require heat.Just make their pen so no drafts can get to them while they are roosting.You may want to give them some electrolytes and vitamins in their water maybe once a month and some black oil sunflower seeds,not the regular sunflower.
In N.H.,Tony.

Lol yes thats what I meant. Thanks!
So what if my cage is too low to have a roosting stick, will they be warm enough on the ground? I have straw and hay on the ground.
Why is heat lamp bad for them?

Hi
I've got lots of wild pheasants in my area, one a female has been here a year and is now very tame. She is developing quite a few growth mainly around her face, is there anything I can put in her food to stop them or do you think this could be an age thing.
Thanks
Paul

Lol yes thats what I meant. Thanks!
So what if my cage is too low to have a roosting stick, will they be warm enough on the ground? I have straw and hay on the ground.
Why is heat lamp bad for them?
Pheasants love to roost.If your cage is too low for them to roost then it is easy for predators to grab them.There pen should be at least 6' hi with a roost placed around 4' down,this will be too low for anything to grab them from the top.I would also nail a piece on wood to the end of the perch so they can not get grabbed from the side of the cage as it seems like pheasants like to roost to the ends of their perch.Straw and hay are good for bedding.
If you provide heat for any bird they will not develop the down they need to keep warm.If you provide heat and they don't have the down and you lose power,they may die because they do not have the proper insulation to keep them warm.Plus if your using straw for bedding and somehow the heat source falls you will have a fire very quickly.I strongly suggest to heat source.Most birds will climatize if they are left outside.You can't bring them out in the fall and expect them to climatize,they need to be out there in the spring time and leave them and they will do the rest.
I raise cockatiels outside year round here in N.H. with no heat and they do great.I do poly there entire pen so no drafts can get to them.If you look at pic 1 you can see thet the bottom 3' is open,these are pens with my pheasants in them.In pic 2 the entire pen is covered in poly,this is where the cocktiels,diamond doves,grey peacock pheasant and germain peacock pheasants are.Both pheasant species require heat and I do not provide them with heat,I just keep the drafts off from them.This is my 1st year with the germains so I will see how they do.I would not try this with any other species of peacock pheasants.I know the grey can handle it,but I've been told the germain are iffy.
In N.H.,Tony.

Back
Top Bottom