Ringneck Pheasant is mean

DomC

Songster
9 Years
Oct 31, 2010
Las Vegas
My dang Ring neck has become aggressive. He’s been fine during the early parts of the breeding season but now he goes to attack me when I go to feed them and gather eggs. I hand riased him. He used let me pick him up and hand feed him. Is there anything that can be done? I am just thinking about getting rid of my ring necks and sticking to chukar, quail, and ducks. I would just put him down, but the wife and kids are attached. Just sucks I can’t go in there without getting peck and spared.

I've had Reeves to do that.. it is just the way they are! Different males cycle in to the aggressive behavior at different times.

He is imprinted on you because of the hand raising and all the time you spent with him. He see's you as a threat to his area now. When I have had them like this I take a 5 gallon bucket and put it over them while in the pen. It only took a few times and mine calmed down some.

He may be mean,but he will be an excellent breeder with lots of fertile eggs.When breeding season is over he will not be mean until next breeding season.By all means do not put him down,someone would love to have a chick machine.
In N.H.,Tony.

Quote:
ITS ILL ADVISED TO ANSWER PHEASANT QUESTIONS WITH CHICKEN ANSWERS... THE 2 ARE WORLDS APART IN EVERY ASPECT EXCEPT BEING COVERED IN FEATHERS

Quote:
CLOSE... BUT NOT QUITE...

BECAUSE OF HIS HAND REARING HE NOW HAS NO FEAR OF HUMANS, ONLY TERRITORIAL AGRESSION, WHEREAS IF NOT HAND REARED THEY WILL STILL BE TERRITORIAL, BUT THEIR NATURAL FEAR OF YOU KEEPS THEM FROM ACTUALLY TRYING THE ATTACK. I HAVE A JUMBO RINGNECK MALE ( HIS NAME IS APTLY "GEORGE") JUST LIKE THIS, SAME PROBLEM ONLY A LIL BIGGER IN SIZE, AND LEMME TELL YA, HE'S A DETERMINED IDIOT ABOUT IT TOO. AND YES HE DOES IT YEAR ROUND HERE.. NOT JUST DURING BREEDING SEASON. IN MY CASE ALL HAS FAILED... GEORGE IS 3 FULL YRS OLD NOW AND THE BEHAVIORS CONTINUE TO THIS DAY WITH NO END IN SIGHT

WE'VE TRIED THE "MOUNT THEM AND EXTABOLISH DOMINANCE" THEORY FROM DUCK PEOPLE... WORKED AS WELL ON HIM AS IT DID ON ANY DUCKS I HAVE TRIED--NOT! AND NEIGHBORS ARE LIABLE TO TURN YOU INTO TO ANIMAL SERVICES FOR CLAIMS OF BEASTIALITY
hmm.png

WE TRIED THE "GEORGE TREATMEANT" AS IN I WILL HUG HIM AND PET HIM AND LOVE HIM AND CALL HIM GEORGE... WHERE ANYTIME HE GETS CRANKY HE GETS SNATCHED UP AND HANDLED AND CARRIED ABOUT... NO USEFUL EFFECT... HE GOES TO SLEEP WHEN YOU CARRY HIM AROUND LIKE HE DID WHEN HE WAS A CHICK, BUT AS SOON AS YOU PUT HIM DOWN HE'S FULLY AWAKE ALERT AND READY FOR THE NEXT ROUND
sad.png

HE'S GOTTEN THE SOCCER BALL TREATMENT, AND THE GROUND-DWELLING PINATA TREATMENT, AND THE FIRMAN'S TARGET RANGE TREATMENT ALL TO NO AVAIL....

BEST THING YET (ONLY WORKS FOR ABOUT 2 DAYS.. ) FOLDED THICK NEWSPAPER IN 1 HAND AND FEED IN THE OTHER... WHEN I POUR FEED AND HE GETS STUPID I BASICALLY ATTACK HIM WITH THE FOLDED NEWSPAPER MUCH LIKE SPANKING A YOUNG PUPPY... DOES NO HARM BUT SCARES THEM... HE GETS WHAPPED REPEATEDLY UNTIL HE FLEES FROM ME... FURTHER AGRESSION RESULTS IN MORE NUMEROUS AND MORE FURIOUS WHAPS UNTIL THE BRIGHT SPARKING IDEA LODGES IN HIS BEADY LIL BRAIN.. " I BETTER GET AWAY FROM HIM HE'S CRAZY!"

BASICALLY BEST I CAN SAY IS "WELCOME TO PHEASANTS"
roll.png

Quote:
ITS ILL ADVISED TO ANSWER PHEASANT QUESTIONS WITH CHICKEN ANSWERS... THE 2 ARE WORLDS APART IN EVERY ASPECT EXCEPT BEING COVERED IN FEATHERS

tongue.png
Perhaps you missed it: the "chicken answer" came from a "Pheasant". Yes, of course they are worlds apart. In this case, the "pheasant" is the one with the answer that happens to work on chickens.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU! (<--- shouted, just to make sure you didn't miss this, too.)
wink.png

These are all good tips.

When I usually go to feed them I have a 1 gallon container, which I use to defend myself. I am just worried if one of the kids goes in there to gather eggs and they get hurt.
The funny part is, he is fine if I feed him from my hand outside the pen.

His name is Peep.. Wife came up with it.

MVI_0055.jpg

Back
Top Bottom