Ringneck pheasant ?'s

kelly

Songster
12 Years
Aug 15, 2007
My neices Dh wants me to try and hatch some ringneck pheasant eggs, I know nothing about pheasants. Could someone fill me in on bator temps,humidity and what to feed them if and after they hatch? I will be keeping them until they no longer need a heat lamp, is that pretty much like chickens? I have hatched baby chicks but need to know whats different. Thanks so much.

Kelly
--------------------------
5 RIR's, 2 frizzle,1 leghorn, 2 EE

HI Kelly, ringnecks take 24-25 days to hatch, so stop turning them around day 21. Temp/humidity is basically the same as chickens. They are also reared under heat lamps like chicks, but are more sensitive to being cold/hot. They will pick each other if they are too hot or too cold, so watch closely for bad behavior and adjust accordingly. Use red or blue lamps to reduce pecking. They will fly by 2 weeks, so be prepared for that as well. They are started on a gamebird ration...we use gamebird starter here. Good luck.

Jody

Thanks Jody. I hope some hatch. I love trying something different as long as someone wants them when they are ready to be moved because I don't have room since I already have chickens. Thanks again. Kelly

Back
Top Bottom