Ringtail Cat

DottM

Hatching
Feb 24, 2018
Hi All,

A couple of days ago we lost one of our chickens to a ringtail cat. I originally thought a raccoon had managed to reach through the external enclosure and grab the chicken as its head was decapitated with the neck through the chainlink. I made the mistake of thinking that anything that could get through chainlink couldn't possibly be big enough to eat a chicken, but I was wrong.

I had a search of the forums and there seems to be a couple of threads regarding ringtail cats but people seemed unsure if they could actually eat a chicken or just a chick. Well I found out the hard way they CAN kill fully grown chickens.

I caught most of it on my camera system but some of it was in the blind spot. At the 32 second mark you can see how easily it hops through the chainlink.

Im now going to layer 1/2" hardware cloth over the chainlink to stop further attacks. I hope this video can help someone else prevent a lost chicken.

I'm sorry for your loss. Good idea on the hardware cloth for sure. I've never heard of ring tail cats killing chickens, but it certainly makes sense, and heck, you have proof! Are you in AZ as well, we have some along the canal and river.

I'm sorry for your loss. Good idea on the hardware cloth for sure. I've never heard of ring tail cats killing chickens, but it certainly makes sense, and heck, you have proof! Are you in AZ as well, we have some along the canal and river.

I live in a Austin TX, from what I gather they are protected in AZ but not so much here in TX so they best not come back for any more of my chickens.

What’s really got me thinking is that the chicken was in the coop at 6pm but went back out at 8pm and started pacing the fence. The cat then attacked the chicken at 8:16pm. So I have no idea what spooked her to go back outside in the dark. I don’t shut the coop door as I thought my outside enclosure was safe with chainlink all around.

As I mentioned I just wanted to share hay it is possible for the cat to take down a full chicken and they can easily get through chainlink.

Many can simply go over the fence, I have seen dogs climb the fence here, of course they were trying to get away from me! Cats all the time right over the fence,,,,
good luck!

Many can simply go over the fence, I have seen dogs climb the fence here, of course they were trying to get away from me! Cats all the time right over the fence,,,,
good luck!

Yes I’m going to mesh the roof of the enclosure and also go out and under the ground of the enclosure to prevent a predator from digging under. Sometimes I think I’m over reacting since the first incident I’ve had in over a year but equally the cat could have got into the coop and ended all our chickens.

Learned something new today! Looks like a very adaptable predator that will take advantage of any opportunity.

Sorry for the loss of your chicken.

https://www.arkive.org/ringtail/bassariscus-astutus/

Great! That was the whole goal of my post was to share knowledge with others so I’m glad you learned something new! Every day is a school day which is what keeps us young.

Hi all - I was looking into whether ringtails can kill chickens, and found this thread. We had one that got into our henhouse and into our guinea run. Killed two hens and two full grown guineas. MADE ME SICK! We've coon proofed and fox proofed our enclosures, but I had no idea these little things were a threat! First time I've seen one in person. We found our two guineas first, and then later our two hens, AND the little booger was asleep IN the henhouse! He no longer draws breath. But FYI, they are very skinny, and he got through our wire enclosure that was 2"x2". So if you have them in your area, you may need to do some extra proofing

:eek: I looked them up and they are a member of the raccoon family. Luckily we don't have them in Florida.

I just lost two chickens to a ringtail. I found them in the coop, both decapitated, but not eaten elsewhere. We recently had snow so I searched for tracks. I've had a bobcat kill chickens before even with an electric fence! Anyway, since I couldn't find tracks I went in the coop and started moving my metal feed containers in case a critter was still inside. I about jumped out of my skin when the ringtail ran out and up onto the window sill and looked at me before running out. I didn't make it out fast enough to see where it went and how it got over the fence. They are so cute with those big eyes, so I hate to think of them as a predator. Also, I don't know how it got in the coop. I'm going to have to secure the area above the fence, like with a fenced roof so there is literally no opening. I really hate losing chickens to predators. *sigh*

Back
Top Bottom