Rio Grande Turkey Acting Sick

melanie

Songster
10 Years
Feb 16, 2009
Texas
Today, my 8-month-old hen was laying down in the horse pens. Just seemed to be sunning or dusting like the chickens do. However, she didn't move and let me stroke her. This is highly unusual for her. She is very smart, but will normally only take food out of my hand. She's always been too frightened to be petted. I have noticed she follows me more. If I'm in the yard and go the barn, she shows up down there. She seems to appear wherever I am. Well, I picked her up, and she struggled a little. I felt a wet spot under her, but didn't see anything except a small bare spot. No blood, just slightly weepy skin with no feathers. It was a small area. I took her to the house and wrapped her in a towel so I get a better look. There was an odd odor. It was kind of putrid. About that time she pooped a big healthy poop. No yellow or blood. It was a dark brown turd with a little white. About as healthy looking as you can get. I was relieved. I took her back out, but then noticed she sat in the yard a bit with her eyes closed. Then I watched her pick around and eat a little. She's big and stout.

She doesn't seem herself, but then again, I can't tell if she's just getting more gentle. I didn't notice any signs of respiratory problems. We are in Texas.

Any ideas?

No discharge anywhere, and her butt is clean. She is talking to me a lot more. Friday I was calling a bull into the pens, and it was pretty loud, and she was barking like crazy, responding to me. I'll try to add a photo. Our internet connection is slow. We can't get it fixed until tomorrow.

This was about 4:00 and I don't know if she was sleepy or what. She did peck at the ground after this.

Her face doesn't stink. It was just her abdomen area. She could have laid down in something stinky, but she looked very clean. The small weepy area looked like a rub, but it wasn't red and there was no blood. Just looked like she'd rubbed her feathers there from roosting??

Bald patch on abdomen could be from roosting/pulling out feathers for nest (spray roost/bald area with blu-kote/Durvet Red wound oil spray). However, I'd trust my nose when it comes to "putrid". If not a busted rotten egg (unlikely) then the hen requires a thorough exam (flanks-if any toms have access then breeding injury possible//where wings/legs meet torso, etc.) as some minor wound could have become infected and is becoming systemic. It doesn't hurt to keep injectable penicillin in the fridge.

Separating her out and monitoring water/feed intake (as well as isolating source of putrid odor) is probably a good idea for the time being.

This was about 4:00 and I don't know if she was sleepy or what. She did peck at the ground after this.
Looks a little too "fluffed" and she's standing with her head and neck close to her body. Do like Ivan3 suggested and examine every square inch of her. -Kathy

Back
Top Bottom