New to turkeys

JMH_1008

Hatching
Sep 2, 2023
I have had chickens for a few years and never had a sick chicken. I have always wanted turkeys so this year I bought 4 BBW turkeys. I lost 2 of them at a very young age. I have a Jake and Jenny left. They are approximately 5 months old. A while back my Jenny got sick with sour crop. We got through that and here recently she has been acting funny. I live in SC where we have some seriously hot and humid summers. This summer seems to be the worst summer I can remember. I noticed yesterday that my Jenny was laying in the chicken yard and the chickens were walking over her. I quickly got her out and started looking her over for any reason why she wouldn't get up. I did find a bumble on the top of her right foot. On the bottom of her left foot it's swollen some and it appears to be a small cut like she stepped on something. I have soaked her in Epson salt, the bumble come out and I have covered her in blu kote. My concerns is she doesn't seem to be gaining any weight, she has a great appetite, she drinks and her poop is normal. She sits hunched up sometimes. She doesn't appear to have respiratory issues. I feed her, my Jake and guineas feed that's 16-20% protein feed. They get veggies and fruits from time to time. I am concerned about her not being as active as she used to be and her not gaining weight and filling out like she should. There are no signs of worms or mites. All of my chickens stopped laying eggs this summer but I thought it could be bc of how hot it's been. Could the heat be the reason she's not gaining weight? I'm at a total lose at this point. I have tried many different supplements, garlic in water, acv in water, probiotics in water. What can I do or try at this point. I think I forgot to put this in the post. Her and the other BBW are approximately 5 months old. I bought them from tractor supply in March.

Garlic is harmful to poultry. ACV is harmful during times when it is hot.

You might want to get a fecal float done to check for worms.
To me this is where raising any kind of animal gets frustrating and difficult. I have read many articles about garlic in water is good for many different things and the same with acv. I have talked to people on social media that raise turkeys and they use acv all year round in the water.

Fecal float test, if it has to be done by an avian vet that's not an option for me bc there's not one local. The closest one it 2 1/2 hours away.

Welcome to BYC. can you post some pictures of her?
Thank you for the welcome. I hope this site is helpful with different aspects. I think I have some on my phone. I might have to wait until tomorrow to post some pics but I definitely will.

Attachments

• IMG_20230902_205537.jpg
    IMG_20230902_205537.jpg
    397.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20230902_131048.jpg
    IMG_20230902_131048.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 3
These were pics I took of her today that I found. I'll take some more in the morning and post for you.

To me this is where raising any kind of animal gets frustrating and difficult. I have read many articles about garlic in water is good for many different things and the same with acv. I have talked to people on social media that raise turkeys and they use acv all year round in the water.

Fecal float test, if it has to be done by an avian vet that's not an option for me bc there's not one local. The closest one it 2 1/2 hours away.
There is a lot of bad information on the Internet. Garlic is an allium. Alliums are harmful to poultry.

People mistakenly think that if something is good for them it is also good for their poultry.

I did my own personal evaluation of ACV and found no benefits. The only claimed study of ACV and poultry is not a valid ACV study because they used apple infused vinegar and did not actually use ACV.

ACV is known to inhibit proper absorption of calcium.

Any vet should be able to do a fecal float test.

Back
Top Bottom