Turkey Hen sits in water

Lilchiknmama87

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2022
My female Turkey started laying eggs about a month ago.
1000019199.jpg
1000019192.jpg
Since then she has started this new habit every morning when I let my girls put. (She's in with my chickens) she goes running as fast as she can to beat them to the water bowl then she jumps inside of it and stomps in it then spreads her wings about and almost completely sits down in it. It's winter time the water is cold it's not warm. What is she doing?? doing?

My female Turkey started laying eggs about a month ago. View attachment 3779227View attachment 3779228Since then she has started this new habit every morning when I let my girls put. (She's in with my chickens) she goes running as fast as she can to beat them to the water bowl then she jumps inside of it and stomps in it then spreads her wings about and almost completely sits down in it. It's winter time the water is cold it's not warm. What is she doing?? doing?
It must feel good to her or she wouldn't be doing it.

Does she have anything wrong with her feet, scales raised or bumble foot? Mine stand in water when hot.
I also agree w @MysteryChicken - she must like the warm water.
But.
I also agree w @Molpet - please take a close look at her feet and legs to make sure there isn’t a reason that she is loving that warm foot bath -
Check her foot pads for sores/ black spots (bumblefoot), check for any crooked (possible broken) toes / toenails, and check the tops of her feet and also her legs for any lifted scales (scaly leg mites).
I would also check her vent to make sure she doesn’t have Northern Fowl Mites, if you don’t already treat routinely for those pesky little bugs 😶

If she doesn’t have anything “going on”
Well
I’d probably set out another water bowl so she can have her spa time and the chickens can still get to the water 😂

Last edited:
One of my hen turkeys run straight out to the pond, first thing in the morning. I thought that it was a little weird also. I guess they like the water on their feet.

Back
Top Bottom