RIP Basil šŸ˜¢šŸ„

Basil, you were too young, I'm sorry I wasn't there to say goodbye, or be the one who gave you your last hug. All I want to do is see you again, and let you know how much you meant to me.

Today I got some very upsetting news from the neighbors. Basil was found dead in the corner of the coop. I can't stop crying.

Basil was the kind of chick who loved to sleep on your lap. She was the one with the big brown eyes you couldn't say no to.

View attachment 2813129
View attachment 2813130

Oh no. Iā€™m so sorry. I know exactly how it feels. Iā€™m sorry her time had to come to an end so soon but I like to believe that she lived her life to the fullest. She sounded very sweet and was beautiful. Iā€™m sure she loved you very much and you made her the happiest she could ever be- which is the best thing we could ever do for our babies. Rather than feeling sad remember her very fondly and be happy for the time you had with her. Sheā€™s right up there with Baby Margo in chicken heaven.ā¤ļø

Yesterday I got her body from the neighbours and buried her in a nice, private space in the garden.
Talking to the neighbours, I got a bit more information about her death. She was found in the corner of the nest box (it's not unusual, my chickens like to sleep in the nests), where the wood is broken. There is a medium sized gap between the 2 pieces of wood. It was a cold night that night, which makes me believe the draft coming from the gap in the coop made her too cold, and she died. I'm going to work on fixing that so it doesn't happen again.
I've checked for mites or lice, nothing.

Back
Top Bottom