1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

RIP Bert. My wonderful rooster.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mszekely, Mar 22, 2012.

1. mszekely

mszekely Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    Vermilion, OH
    RIP Bert.

My wonderful Rooster choked on something and my husband Jim found him dead in the hen house.
    Bert was a very caring husband to his hens, dancing to woo them and clucking them in for treats. He would drop any treats handed to him so his girls could have them. He would inspect the nests and join in the cheers when eggs were laid. He had a loud, beautiful crow in the mornings. He will me missed by all of us here on the farm. I can't imagine the place without him.

[​IMG]

After a period of mourning I hope to get another rooster for the girls. But I doubt I'll ever find another like Bert.

2. haemony

haemony Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2011
    WV
    I am sorry for your loss. Hope you find another great rooster. It's hard enough to find a good one.

3. ButchGood

ButchGood Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Central Texas
    Id be interested in what he choked on so we could avoid this. He sure was a beautiful bird. Maybe you could incubate one of the girls eggs to get one of his offspring for a replacement.

4. mszekely

May 10, 2011
    Vermilion, OH
    I'm afraid he's already been buried. And the eggs refrigerated. Sigh.

5. ButchGood

Mar 14, 2012
    Central Texas
    From what Ive heard, Bert has already fertilized eggs that havn't ben laid yet. A week to a week and a half in advance. Crack one of the fresh eggs and see if its fertile. If it is....It may not be to late.

6. goldnchocolate

goldnchocolate Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I'm sorry for your loss. He sounds like he was a wonderful roo. It would be awesome if you were able to hatch some eggs that he fertilized. I don't remember if it was this forum or another forum but someone hatched an egg from the refrigerator when her rooster was hit by a car. Not only did it hatch but she hatched it in a homemade incubator!!

7. mszekely

May 10, 2011
    Vermilion, OH
    Thanks everyone! I will check the eggs to see if we have a few fertile ones. Thanks for the sympathy and suggestions!

8. ButchGood

Mar 14, 2012
    Central Texas

No Worries, Hope it helped. Im one of those big ole' boys, but Im a real softy when it comes to my animals. I lost my dog/friend in Jan. and still get a tear in my eye about certian things. You know, looking at the steak bone on your plate, you grab it and look around.....Oh wait..........

9. ButchGood

Mar 14, 2012
    Central Texas
  10. mszekely

May 10, 2011
    Vermilion, OH
    That is good news! I had thought it was a one shot deal, sperm that day, fertilized egg the next. I will see if we have any fertilized ones when I get home. Thanks for offering me some hope!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by