RIP Big Momma.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Smartie_Pants, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    I had a chicken die today. She was a cornish X. I didn't set out to get one, and while buying chicks at the jockey I spotted some cute chicks. This was before I knew much about chickens, keep that in mind. I asked what they were and the people selling said they didn't know, they were selling for a friend that day. They said that the adults they had on their truck were the same breed as the chicks. Not the case. I raised a Tyson rescue, so I knew what was going to happen.

Today I went to gather eggs and found her laying in some mud inside the coop. I hadn't seen her all day, but that was nothing unusual so I thought nothing of it. She loved to go off somewhere by herself until sunset. She was so cold and shivering. She must have been laying there all day. I brought her up to the house and wrapped her in some warm towels. Then I wrapped a plastic bag around that to hold in the heat. We kept her up by the house in a dog house and I went out a minute ago to check on her. She was dead.

I feel so bad, but I know she lived a great life and was very pampered. Here are some pics of her:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They say people die so babies can be born. Maybe its the same with chickens. I just had a silkie go broody and she only began laying around the 7th of this month. Maybe Big Momma died because someone knew I didn't really have room for the extra chicks.

2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    What a beautiful lady. She was lucky to have had you.

3. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    Oh, I am so sorry. She was a beauty. It is always hard to lose one. Hugs to you.

Anne

4. Nikki28

Nikki28 David Bowie is my co-pilot

Dec 15, 2008
    What a cute girl! How old was she? It seems she lived a great life far better than others of her breed.

5. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Uhh... I got her in mid june as a week old chick... she was about 6 1/2 months old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by