RIP Chickpea

I agree with Allsfair. I've had 2 hawk attacks, and they were similar to your description. Feathers everywhere, but the chicken alive and hiding. The first time, she was still in my yard; the second time, she was 3 yards away. Hawks think they can take an adult chicken, but I think it proves too much for them to carry, so they drop it. Make sure your birds have cover they can run under quickly and easily. I've also found that in my yard, hawks tend to attack from the same angle and place, so I cluttered up that line to break up their flight in.

How is she this morning? You mentioned she wasnt moving around much. I would check her very carefully for any puncture wounds. Puncture wounds are small and dont bleed much, but can be very deep. Part her feathers and examine every inch to make sure she wasnt injured.
I'll do that. We kept her inside this past night to keep an eye on her, and we got her to drink some water and eat some grapes, although we had to hand feed her and she isn't doing much aside from dozing. Do you have any advice on how to get her to eat on her own? Thanks

It sounds like she may be in shock, but i am still concerned about physical injuries, either external or internal. Keep her in climate control and dont be too concerned about her not eating for now. Do keep her hydrated. If she is drinking water and eating grapes on her own, that is a good sign.

I've lost 4 hens to my local redtail hawk over the past several years. (The hawk only strikes when my lgds arent nearby). No other chickens have ever survived when the hawk struck. The only reason this hen survived is i walked upon the scene after returning from errands in town. The hawk had already begun to pluck her feathers. She was clearly in severe shock. I brought her inside and wrapped her in a towel to help keep her warm.

20191219_151904.jpg

The next day (december 20, 2019).

The above photos compare exactly to the timeline for your hen's attack. After you have checked every inch of her for injuries, please let me/us know how she is doing, & if you found any wounds.

The above photos compare exactly to the timeline for your hen's attack. After you have checked every inch of her for injuries, please let me/us know how she is doing, & if you found any wounds.
Her stance is very similar to the second picture. I've looked over her and I can't find anything, just a patch of missing feathers. She's eaten some more food, had some water, and is moving around more. I think she may have also preened, or at least done something to the feathers on her back(around the missing patch) as it looks different than before. She seems much better, but still very reserved and lethargic.

Our first predator attack happened today. We live in a pretty rural area, and we've seen foxes and skunks and our neighbors have told us about bears in the area, but I guess we got lulled into a false sense of security with nothing bad happening to our semi free-range girls. But today they were chased around the house by something(we think a fox) and when we ran outside, Chickpea, our Jubilee Orpington, was missing from the scattered flock. We found a bunch of her feathers a little ways from the house with no other sign of her. I feel so guilty for not being more worried about their safety. She was only a year and a few months. rip Chickpea View attachment 2777915
View attachment 2777910
Rip Chickpea. We too had a fox attack this past weekend. At first I could only find 6 ( out of 25) of our girls, and one that was left for dead by my garden. As we walked around our house I had 6 different clumps of feathers. Needless to say I thought things were pretty grim. I have not clipped their wings just for this reason. We let them out when we are home, so we can be here to help in this situation but had to run to town quick. Anyhow, as the afternoon progressed and they heard us and our dogs in the yard(I kept walking.in circles around the house and in the woods, car port etc. anywhere I thought they'd hide, little by.little they came out. By sundown I counted 21in the run and 2 that were not wanting to go back in yet. One was pretty badly injured where the fix tried to grab her by the tail. She is healing nicely in a dog crate. We went out and bought some electrified fencing as this seems to happen at least once a season when the baby foxes are learning to hunt...

I agree with Allsfair. I've had 2 hawk attacks, and they were similar to your description. Feathers everywhere, but the chicken alive and hiding. The first time, she was still in my yard; the second time, she was 3 yards away. Hawks think they can take an adult chicken, but I think it proves too much for them to carry, so they drop it. Make sure your birds have cover they can run under quickly and easily. I've also found that in my yard, hawks tend to attack from the same angle and place, so I cluttered up that line to break up their flight in.
If you have old cds and DVDs you can hang then from posts or sticks or what ever you have as a distraction. To the hawks.

The predator must have grabbed her but dropped her so she may be in a bit of a shock. When an owl got into one of my coops several years ago, The birds were totally freaked out and bloody. I moved them to another coop and pen. They were freaked out for awhile but did recover with some TLC. Good luck...

Somehow, I found her again, still alive! I was walking around and followed a trail of feathers to what I thought was where the fox had gone, but was actually where she was hiding! I don't think she has any injuries, no blood, but she was (and still is) shaken and not moving around. I brought her inside and put her in a box to warm up (it's around 55 f where I am). Is there anything else I can do to help her? I'm planning on returning her to the coop and her sisters in a few hours for the night.
Awesome!!! So happy for you 💓

Back
Top Bottom