RIP little blind Princess

nuchickontheblock

Songster
9 Years
May 16, 2010
south portland, maine
My DH and I went on a week's vacation, leaving our girls in the care of our neighbors who have watched them in the past. We came home late last night to a beautifully hand painted card of a chicken with a note and a plant from our neighbor explaining that our little Princess died a couple of nights ago. She was the most curious, funny and brave little girl. Always the first to follow you around the yard to check out your activities, try a new food, and make the best of being the lowest in the pecking order. She was a quirky little broody who would hide eggs in the most unlikely places. Over the past year she had become increasingly blind for some unknown reason and preferred to stay in the coop. Although she couldn't see, she figured out how to jump up to the roost and fly down, and knew her way around the coop and run. She followed the others when they were free ranging as best she could. This winter, she often seemed tired and would stay in the coop and close her eyes a lot. We knew she wasn't well, but she would perk up when food was offered or we talked to her. We hand fed her special treats and did what we could to keep her safe. We will miss her -- our funny little Princess.
hit.gif

I am so sorry for your loss. I have a blind hen named Helen, and although she needs extra care and attention, she is the sweetest girl and I would be devastated if anything happened to her. The other girls and my rooster Brie seem to know that she needs some help. I am glad that they understand that she is different and are gentle with her.

Hugs and prayers to you...
hugs.gif

Sorry to hear she's gone and especially while you wee away, how kind of your neighbours to take care of her they obviously care to fetch you gifts. I have a princess too. It's lovely to hear how much you cared for her. RIP princess.

Back
Top Bottom