RIP little drake! šŸ˜Ÿ

It happened just five meters (15') away from the house! - During the summer this area is covered by tree branches, but now - no leaves. When i scared the hawk away it almost crashed into the trees, because i was coming from the open side, but then it turned around and came back towards me.
I know that a lot of folks around here swear by donkeys and Great Pyrenees dogs to protect livestock from the coyotes , bobcats , wild hogs and such around . But that hawk probably wouldnā€™t even care about them they way it came straight on after you.

No flat land at all and building a pen on a hillsite....? And then the money question, a pen for 28 ducks would have to be huge, especially because my ducks are used to have a lot of space -a lot of.
I will set up more little huts to provide cover and draw lines from the house to the trees and other anchor points and attach reflective flags. Just try to make it as un-attractive for that bird as possible. - Where are my crow-friends?!? Damn Winter!
Well then if you want the ducks to have all their "lots of space" then you will just have to do all that and hope for the best. Or, you could fence off an area and contain them to where it's more realistic to keep a more careful watch over them instead of having them roam all over the place.

I know that a lot of folks around here swear by donkeys and Great Pyrenees dogs to protect livestock from the coyotes , bobcats , wild hogs and such around . But that hawk probably wouldnā€™t even care about them they way it came straight on after you.
I am 6'4" (193cm) tall and that thing scared me! It came into arms reach several times. That bird was the same size as a full grown duck, and i think it was a red shouldered hawk:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-shouldered_hawkIf you play the call, that was what i heartā€¦

Well then if you want the ducks to have all their "lots of space" then you will just have to do all that and hope for the best. Or, you could fence off an area and contain them to where it's more realistic to keep a more careful watch over them instead of having them roam all over the place.
As said, it happened very close to the house, not even in the duck's "lot's of space".
I would have understood it, had they been up at the barn, but so close to the houseā€¦

No flat land at all and building a pen on a hillsite....? And then the money question, a pen for 28 ducks would have to be huge, especially because my ducks are used to have a lot of space -a lot of.
I will set up more little huts to provide cover and draw lines from the house to the trees and other anchor points and attach reflective flags. Just try to make it as un-attractive for that bird as possible. - Where are my crow-friends?!? Damn Winter!
We had a hawk problem this fall, it took 2 chicks, attacked another one that my husband saved. Then it started coming after our adult chickens and my rooster attacked. The hawk laid dazed for several minutes and then flew off. Hasnā€™t been back... can you get a guard bird of some kind?

We had a hawk problem this fall, it took 2 chicks, attacked another one that my husband saved. Then it started coming after our adult chickens and my rooster attacked. The hawk laid dazed for several minutes and then flew off. Hasnā€™t been back... can you get a guard bird of some kind?
Guard bird? - Like an Emu?

Back
Top Bottom