RIP little Ping

yoie

Songster
Jan 28, 2011
Easternshore of Maryland
Today I was witness to one of my sweet little ducks get taken by a HUGE hawk. I only let them free range when I am home so I can keep an eye on them. But that still wasn't enough. Right before my eyes a hawk swoops out of our giant old maple tree and quickly takes out my Ping. I ran as fast as I could but she was gone. The hawk slowly hopped, then flew away. At least it was a quick death. I should have realized something was up when my chickens kept making a ruckous but they yell over squirrels in the yard. Now my other ducks are all locked in their pen, and my DH is putting a top on the pen to keep anyone else out. So much for my free ranging duckies and Ping will be greatly missed. She was such a sweet little buff duck and my daughters favorite.
78308_dscn2155.jpg

So sorry, hawks are a real PIA, even if they are pretty. The hawks don't land in our pasture or on the fence posts after adding the geese this year. They circle, have seen them chase birds and squirrels outside our fence line too.

stinks loosing a bird to any predator. i also watched a hawk swoop down after a wood duck on my pond. Those things are so dam quick but that wood duck was quicker and dove under water saving his little duck life.. the hawk wasnt so happy then. They win some they loose some. but unfortunatly domestic prey is much easier
hmm.png

hugs.gif
Sorry for your loss. I haven't lost one to a hawk yet, but I have noticed everyone sticking closer to the fence line and coop the last few weeks. Guess they're out like crazy this time of year.

Sorry little ping. All you can be thankful for is that she died quickly. I lost a duck to an eagle so I know how you feel.
hugs.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom