RIP Mango

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by yanakaye, Sep 4, 2014.

1. yanakaye

yanakaye Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2014
    I am very very sad to say that my beautiful Mango died yesterday at only 3 and a half months, he has left his distraught sister and mum (me) behind. he was all weak and wobbly and wouldnt eat or drink much, took him to the vets and within hours he died, the vets said it was kidney failure. i am obviously distraught, so took a day off work but am unable to go back to work as my female duckie, campbell gets so stressed out if i even leave the room to go to the loo!, we are going to get her another duck or two to keep her company so i can go back to work, was wondering if she would take better to ducklings or should we get her a duck closer to her own age? thank you.

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Sorry to hear that, i would aim for around her age otherwise she may pick on a younger bird and development wise they'll be on par so will enjoy the same things.

Again, sorry for your loss.

3. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    I'm so sorry about your Mango. :/ I had a similar thing happen, lost a duckling at 3 weeks old. His sister was then alone and really needed a friend. I found another duckling for sale around the same age a couple weeks later and now they are best friends. I would definitely suggest getting ones around the same age because whoever is smaller/younger will likely get picked on. Good luck!

4. chikens4life

chikens4life New Egg

Sep 2, 2014
    Queen creek
    I'm sorry my twilight chicken died yesterday and I know what your going through. My goat also died a couple months ago at age 1. I miss her very much but now mango is in a better place. Stay strong[​IMG][​IMG]

5. yanakaye

yanakaye Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2014
    Thank you everyone for your kind words, I miss mango more than anything and no duck could ever replace him, ive taken your advice and have now got a male duck just 5 weeks older than my female, Campbell. she is besotted with him and really flirty. We have named him Solomon, or solly for short. I havent quite taken to him yet but he is growing on me. i think it will take a while for me to accept him in mangos place. He isnt used to being handled by people but he is doing really well considering, and campbell is doing a great job at showing him that its ok to be picked up and stroked and cuddled. Hopefully i will learn to love him, im sure i will, just losing mango is still too fresh, sorry for all of your losses too, its so hard to lose part of the family, he was much much more than a duck. thanks :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by