RIP Toasty

TwinChickens

Chirping
Feb 10, 2018
Western Australia
Today was a hard day. My beautiful girl Toasty very sadly had to be euthanized after several tumours were discovered during what should have been a fairly simple operation. I am absolutely heartbroken, and thought I would post here to share her memory. She was still so young, turning three in October, but we noticed she was lethargic and wasn't interested in eating. Picking her up, I could feel liquid in her stomach, which turned out to be egg yolk and inflammatory liquid caused by an impacted ovary. She stayed overnight in the vet to have to surgery to correct it, and that was the last time I saw her.

The tumours were what caused her to have an impacted ovary as far as I understand, but it is difficult for me to deal, as many friends and family members don't really understand why I am upset because it's "just a chicken" but Toasty is one of three pullets I hand raised from 16 weeks. all three were tame and would eat from my hand and follow me around, but Toasty was especially close with her sister. I only hope she copes better than I have been with the loss of my poor baby Toasty.

I will miss you dearly x
IMG_8396.JPG

I’m so sorry. You must be heart broken, It’s so refreshing to see people like you who truly loved and appreciae their pets. A pet isn’t just a pet. They quickly can become a part of your heart whether you have them for a few days, months, years or decades. And when that pet dies, it’s like a part of your life is missing. Not many people understand that. To most, an animal is an animal, and no where near as important as a human. (I beg to differ.) Toasty was lucky to have an owner that cared for her to this extent. The very fact she was taken to a vet and had her owners pay for surgery shows how much she was loved. I hope you feel better soon.:hugs RIP little Toasty.

Not the first time i have been to a vet with a chicken and I doubt it will be the last. I am so glad people in this community feel the same way I do, they are so intelligent and loving

As a wildlife rescuer I see a lot of neglect and abuse. I love it when people properly care for their animals and give them their all. Thanks for caring about your chickens so much😊

Today was a hard day. My beautiful girl Toasty very sadly had to be euthanized after several tumours were discovered during what should have been a fairly simple operation. I am absolutely heartbroken, and thought I would post here to share her memory. She was still so young, turning three in October, but we noticed she was lethargic and wasn't interested in eating. Picking her up, I could feel liquid in her stomach, which turned out to be egg yolk and inflammatory liquid caused by an impacted ovary. She stayed overnight in the vet to have to surgery to correct it, and that was the last time I saw her.

The tumours were what caused her to have an impacted ovary as far as I understand, but it is difficult for me to deal, as many friends and family members don't really understand why I am upset because it's "just a chicken" but Toasty is one of three pullets I hand raised from 16 weeks. all three were tame and would eat from my hand and follow me around, but Toasty was especially close with her sister. I only hope she copes better than I have been with the loss of my poor baby Toasty.

I will miss you dearly x
View attachment 2324706
I am so sorry for your loss. It's never easy and few people understand, but we do. :hugs :hugs

Back
Top Bottom