Ripping the skin..

JNorth

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 7, 2012
Western New York
We processed a few of our Cornish X today... Is there any way to keep the skin from tearing? Am I doing something wrong?

SIMZ

Crowing
8 Years
Apr 29, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Yes, you can fix that problem.

I'm wondering if your scald water is too hot or they're being scalded for too long. Could that be a possibility?

bobbi-j

Crossing the Road
10 Years
Mar 15, 2010
On the MN prairie.
Yes, you can fix that problem.

I'm wondering if your scald water is too hot or they're being scalded for too long. Could that be a possibility?
I think you're right on the money there. You don't want it boiling, and you only have to do a quick dip/swish. Just enough to get the feathers wet to the skin. That's how we do it, anyway. I have no idea what the proper temp. should be. DH is in charge of that part of the operation.

RogerShoaf

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 22, 2014
I think you're right on the money there. You don't want it boiling, and you only have to do a quick dip/swish. Just enough to get the feathers wet to the skin. That's how we do it, anyway. I have no idea what the proper temp. should be. DH is in charge of that part of the operation.
Try it at 155-160F. Test for ease of feather pull.

JNorth

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 7, 2012
Western New York
Water is definitely not boiling, we do it on an open wood fire and watch for bubbles to form on the sides. I think I will break out the thermometer with me for the next batch. I dip for about 30 seconds.

I've seen people do an ice bath immediately following the hot water dip...any truth to that helping the skin?

bobbi-j

Crossing the Road
10 Years
Mar 15, 2010
On the MN prairie.
Water is definitely not boiling, we do it on an open wood fire and watch for bubbles to form on the sides. I think I will break out the thermometer with me for the next batch. I dip for about 30 seconds.

I've seen people do an ice bath immediately following the hot water dip...any truth to that helping the skin?
I know we don't have them in the water for that long. I think it's still too hot if you've got bubbles coming up the sides - that's pretty close to boiling. DH doesn't use a thermometer - just sticks a finger in to check to see if it's right. (Kinda like trying to follow Grandma's old recipes - a pinch of this, a dash of that, knead until the dough is "just right".) I believe I have read 155-160 as RogerShoaf said.

Jerry C

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 17, 2014
Loris,SC
I have had this problem in the past when I first got into chickens, and butchering chickens. My best results were from 145 to 147 degrees for 1 minute and 15 seconds, I time them every time and I have no skin tearing anymore, also I use a Whiz bang plucker that I made and a electric scalder that uses a hot water heater element.I hope this helps.

Top Bottom