Ripping the skin..

Yes, you can fix that problem.

I'm wondering if your scald water is too hot or they're being scalded for too long. Could that be a possibility?

Yes, you can fix that problem.

I'm wondering if your scald water is too hot or they're being scalded for too long. Could that be a possibility?
I think you're right on the money there. You don't want it boiling, and you only have to do a quick dip/swish. Just enough to get the feathers wet to the skin. That's how we do it, anyway. I have no idea what the proper temp. should be. DH is in charge of that part of the operation.

I think you're right on the money there. You don't want it boiling, and you only have to do a quick dip/swish. Just enough to get the feathers wet to the skin. That's how we do it, anyway. I have no idea what the proper temp. should be. DH is in charge of that part of the operation.
Try it at 155-160F. Test for ease of feather pull.

Water is definitely not boiling, we do it on an open wood fire and watch for bubbles to form on the sides. I think I will break out the thermometer with me for the next batch. I dip for about 30 seconds.

I've seen people do an ice bath immediately following the hot water dip...any truth to that helping the skin?

Water is definitely not boiling, we do it on an open wood fire and watch for bubbles to form on the sides. I think I will break out the thermometer with me for the next batch. I dip for about 30 seconds.

I've seen people do an ice bath immediately following the hot water dip...any truth to that helping the skin?
I know we don't have them in the water for that long. I think it's still too hot if you've got bubbles coming up the sides - that's pretty close to boiling. DH doesn't use a thermometer - just sticks a finger in to check to see if it's right. (Kinda like trying to follow Grandma's old recipes - a pinch of this, a dash of that, knead until the dough is "just right".) I believe I have read 155-160 as RogerShoaf said.

I have had this problem in the past when I first got into chickens, and butchering chickens. My best results were from 145 to 147 degrees for 1 minute and 15 seconds, I time them every time and I have no skin tearing anymore, also I use a Whiz bang plucker that I made and a electric scalder that uses a hot water heater element.I hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom