RIR 2 weeks old and SILKIES 3 1/2 weeks old can they go outside ??

newnanchic

Songster
12 Years
Jan 3, 2008
Newnan, Georgia
Hi I am in Georgia now and just wondering if I can move my babies to the raised outdoor coop yet?? Thay are starting to get bored in my basement and crowded in their large box. If I put their flod light out there with them can they go outside yet?? I have 18 total. Thanks

Well the cold here is about 45-50 at night and during the day it is getting in the 70-78 . Our starter coop is open on both ends has wood completly on the front and back and in the middle has a wood floor with wire flooring on both ends. ( It was a rabbit pen ) . I can put my light with them . Do you think it is warm enough yet??

If you can put straw over the wire floor....and give them a heat source, I think they would be ok to go out. Just make sure the straw stops any updraft...and they can snuggle down in it for warmth. The draft is the biggest part...can you wrap a tarp around it to help?

My five RIR's are 9 days old to day, and for the past three days I have been letting them stay outside almost all day without any heat in 60* weather and they have been just fine. I still bring them in at night, well about 6pm. They are getting a little big for their box. I have a hutch outside I let them stay in and I also have a dirt area I put them in to take dirt baths while I watch because there is no top. I also let them play in the grass. This week I have been on vacation and next week when I go back to work I am not sure what I can do. Maybe come home on my break at 10am to put them out and then I get home at 2:30, so I can let them play in dirt at that time.
jumpy.gif

I can put straw or hay down on the wire floor. I also have a tarp that I could wrap around the coop. Thay are getting really big and just now I found one that had flew to the top of their box and was sitting on the edge. They have been flying on top of the water and feed jar but now on the box. It is getting pretty crowded in there. 18 is a lot of babies that are 3 weeks plus old and it is a really big box (a paper towel box form grocery store). So tonight the low is going to be about 50 Is that to cold for them??? I have not lost any since I bought them so I really want them to be safe. Thanks for all of your ideas .

Back
Top Bottom