RIR acting egg-bound, no egg evident

OhioChickenLady

Hatching
May 3, 2017
One of my RIR (probably a hatchery production red) was acting dazed this morning. She went off in the run and stood by herself with her eyes closed. I saw her try to defecate, but nothing came out. She wouldn't sit down, but not penguin stance either.

I checked on her every hour and she started puffing up a little, tail straight out vs normal upright angle.

I followed the recommendations for egg-bound hens (calcium - had to give orally, warm bath, palpate externally and internally). She had some stool present, but not much.

Dried her and let her sit in a clean quiet warm crate for an hour. No change.

Repeated bath and palpation. She defecated on her own in the bath. Still no sign of any egg.

Any ideas what else this could be?

Egg peritonitis?

I was able to get her to eat about a teaspoon of yogurt and she was drinking some electrolyte and probiotic water on her own.

Any other ideas on what it could be or what I can do to help her?

Thank you!

One of my RIR (probably a hatchery production red) was acting dazed this morning. She went off in the run and stood by herself with her eyes closed. I saw her try to defecate, but nothing came out. She wouldn't sit down, but not penguin stance either.

I checked on her every hour and she started puffing up a little, tail straight out vs normal upright angle.

I followed the recommendations for egg-bound hens (calcium - had to give orally, warm bath, palpate externally and internally). She had some stool present, but not much.

Dried her and let her sit in a clean quiet warm crate for an hour. No change.

Repeated bath and palpation. She defecated on her own in the bath. Still no sign of any egg.

Any ideas what else this could be?

Egg peritonitis?

I was able to get her to eat about a teaspoon of yogurt and she was drinking some electrolyte and probiotic water on her own.

Any other ideas on what it could be or what I can do to help her?

Thank you!

Hi
frow.gif
Welcome To BYC

You may be correct - it could be Egg Yolk Peritonitis. Since she's having trouble pooping, try to get her hydrated - the electrolytes are fine for a day or so, then switch to poultry vitamins or direct dose her with something like Poultry Nutri-Drench (1cc per 3lbs). The soaking in epsom salts does help to get things moving, so if she is constipated, then hopefully it will help.

Yesterday, my hen was looking more normal: wallking around, eating, drinking. Not sure if she laid an egg or not.

This morning, she was back to puffing up and standing alone in the corner of the run with closed eyes. I brought her in, gave her more oral calcium, and felt her abdomen. No sign of any egg or general swelling at all. I'm just puzzled as to what may be going on with her!

Going to get the recommended Nutri-Drench this morning to see if that helps at all.

Any recommendations on what I should be supplementing her with as far as foods go? Just stick with her layer ration? Yogurt? She seems thinner than normal. Scratch grains okay to give if she will eat them? Mealworms?

Thank you!

Yesterday, my hen was looking more normal: wallking around, eating, drinking. Not sure if she laid an egg or not.

This morning, she was back to puffing up and standing alone in the corner of the run with closed eyes. I brought her in, gave her more oral calcium, and felt her abdomen. No sign of any egg or general swelling at all. I'm just puzzled as to what may be going on with her!

Going to get the recommended Nutri-Drench this morning to see if that helps at all.

Any recommendations on what I should be supplementing her with as far as foods go? Just stick with her layer ration? Yogurt? She seems thinner than normal. Scratch grains okay to give if she will eat them? Mealworms?

Thank you!
Check her crop to make sure it's functioning properly - full at night/empty in a.m. before eating/drinking.

For foods, main diet of layer or you can give chick starter or flock raiser type feed (higher protein), yogurt is a good probiotic to stir in to her feed. Scratch/mealworms give as her normal treat (no more than 5-10% daily intake). A few other things that are well received that gives extra protein is egg (mine love hard boiled), tuna, mackerel, sardines or meat. Oyster shell free choice.

It's so hard to know what's going on when they go up and down. If you have a vet that can perform a fecal float test on a fresh poop sample, that can rule out worms and cocci.

Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom