RIR are they nice ??

LYNLY

In the Brooder
12 Years
Sep 6, 2007
Montrose Colorado
I read that RIR's are nice but a few people have told me that they can be mean. We are handling them alot to tame them. thanks for any advice.

My two RIR ladies are sweeties! They come running up every time they see me to get some momma lovin
love.gif

I wouldn't trade em for the world!
big_smile.png

In my experience, my girls have always been really sweet too, but the boys have always been super mean. When we raised them some years ago, my rooster attacked me every day when I came home from work. I was actually kind of relieved when a fox took him away. The girls are wonderful tho and can be very friendly if hand raised.

Jody

I have 2 RIR's that are now 6 years and they have always been nice. They were raised by a game hen, not me, so they are not very easy to catch, but they follow me around and when I do catch them they are very nice. And I still get eggs from them!

My rhode island reds are very nice except for one hen. The two that are nice will let you hold them, but the meaner one will chase you. But we have made alot of improvment with the mean one. I have heard that the rooster can be mean to. They are very good layers. Good luck with you rhode island reds.
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I had RIRs for about 9 years. All of my hens were nice and friendly. My roo was the sweetest roo I've ever known - he's gone now. I've heard of friends with not so friendly roos.

Back
Top Bottom