RIR/Aseel Cross

elvisjj

Chirping
Mar 28, 2019
India
Hi friend's,
I am having one RIR Cockerel & Aseel pullet, would like to know is there any possibility to get pure RIR if I crossbreed both.
Thanks
Elvis.

You have all of the necessary ingredients to have pure RIR. Here is what you need to do. Let the RIR breed the Aseel pullet. when she starts laying, she will set. When she sets, reach under her and take out the eggs. Throw them away. Replace them (do this all at the same time and at night) with eggs from purebred RIR. (Although the crossbred birds would probably be more hardy and interesting).

Thanks but I am not having RIR pullet with me.
You have all of the necessary ingredients to have pure RIR. Here is what you need to do. Let the RIR breed the Aseel pullet. when she starts laying, she will set. When she sets, reach under her and take out the eggs. Throw them away. Replace them (do this all at the same time and at night) with eggs from purebred RIR. (Although the crossbred birds would probably be more hardy and interesting).

I am not sure but while googling came to know 5th or 7th generation will get pure breed. Correct me if I am wrong.
you can't cross an ansil to a RIR and get pure RIR. You can only breed straight to RIR to get pure.

Last edited:
If I put a lump of cat poop in a barrel, I can add more water, but there will still be cat poop in the barrel. So a purist will never be satisfied, and you can't officially call the offspring a breed, but at 7/8 they will be purer than most birds that pass for pure in the US.

If you take that pullet, and breed her to the RIR, and then keep a pullet to breed back to him, and then repeat as long as your pure RIR is alive, you can get pretty darn close. In fact, with careful selection for the traits you want, you might get something far better than a pure RIR. You could take the RIR back to it's former glory, when it had fresh Malay genetics, and it was still riding the hybrid vigor wave that entrenched the lore surrounding the breed. Malay is only an Asil misnamed by Europeans.

The RIR is a relatively new composite breed, but it has been bred out of the hybrid vigor stage. So you could be recreating, or rejuvenating the breed. You could call them improved RIR. But the purists, who think their RIR are untainted by hatchery birds with leghorn influence, would never be happy.

Do it. You could breed birds from the first cross together and do quite well. The ones that don't go broody will lay pretty good, the ones that do will raise replacements. I did a similar thing with Leghorn and American Game. Eventually you will have to add more game to retain the reliable brooding and effective free ranging features, as well as health, longevity and to get males that don't go nuts and try to attack their keeper.

Back
Top Bottom