RIR attacking us

How old is your hen?
Do you have a rooster?
Is she the alpha dominant hen?
This might be solvable it might not

We don't have a rooster (illegal in New Orleans). We had 3 hens total but now only have the RIR and a Buff Orpington. (A racoon got to our other Buff) We were planning on maybe adding 3-4 more hens in the spring. The RIR is definitely the dominant! However, even though she had a problem with pecking the others when we first got them, she is pretty nice to the Buff now and doesn't peck her.

I would do research on hens acting out don't just throw all your red chickens in Crock-Pot lol
Watch your eyes when working with her
If you only have 2 chickens it shouldn't take as long to solve
I recommend solving it before you add more

I would do research on hens acting out don't just throw all your red chickens in Crock-Pot lol
Watch your eyes when working with her
If you only have 2 chickens you it shouldn't take as long to solve
I recommend solving it before you add more
Thanks! I'd hate to get rid of her because her and the Buff are so bonded. She is a great layer too. I definitely need to see if she will calm down before adding more, because I'm afraid she would kill any that I add. After seeing how bad she got my leg, I'm definitely not letting her near my kids! We are new to raising chickens and thought RIRs were supposed to be a gentle breed. I don't think we will be getting anymore of those! Maybe I'll try to work with her by taking her out separate from the Buff. She seems a little calmer when she is by herself.

I carry a stick when when I'm outside with my chickens it it good for shewing escapees back in and gives them the general idea I'm the flock master
I haven't read that thread that bees posted but I bet it would help in your situation

I carry a stick when when I'm outside with my chickens it it good for shewing escapees back in and gives them the general idea I'm the flock master
I haven't read that thread that bees posted but I bet it would help in your situation

When we first got the RIR, we used to use a stick to guide her away from pecking the others. After a while she actually stopped pecking. I'll have to try the stick again!

I better check it out because I spoil everyone too and I'll probably be running into some issues like this
Maybe, maybe not. I've not had an aggressive chicken (knocking on wood). But "spoil" means different things to different people. I spoil them with BOSS in the morning and scratch close to roost time. Any that have gotten even a little bit aggressively friendly got a push back immediately.

Back
Top Bottom