RIR Brooding again

Three of the 6 eggs have hatched so far. But one didnt make it. She hasnt gave up on the remaining 3 eggs yet so hopefully the will hatch soon also.

Last edited:
When i went to go look in on her this evening day three since first hatch she pushed the remaining 3 eggs to the side and abandoned them. They were cold to the touch. She also pushed the food container into the nest box. And i seen both chicks eating fdom it.

Tomorrow I'm going to make a safe place out in one of the chicken yards for her and her chicks. I already know if i just left her and her chicks in the layer yard with the other RIRs they will peck the chicks and may just kill them. RIRs are mean like that :(

It is best to move her out so her chicks are safe and can have water at their level. Throw away the other eggs. I have had a hen hatch chicks then set off early in the morning before I could seperate her, the other hens and roosters were all ignoring her and the chicks. One chick died from falling in the water and drowning but not much I could do about that. But my rir's are completey harmless.

Back
Top Bottom