RIR chick color variations?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hensonly, May 15, 2008.

1. hensonly

hensonly Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    upstate NY
    Hi,

my first batch of chicks ever - 15 RIR pullets, doing well, turned 2 weeks old yesterday. On arrival, all were pale yellow with red stripes on back edges of wings - except one, who was dark red all over. Now that their first feathers are coming in, the dark red one shows black bands on her wing feathers. Is this usual, or is she some other breed? Or a rooster maybe? Or what? I ordered through my local Agway store, so I don't know where the chicks came from...

Thanks for any info anyone can give.

2. My Little Sister's Farm

My Little Sister's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    Forest Grove, Oregon
    There are rhode island whites too. But you may just have a few lighter colored and darker colored.

3. momofchicks

momofchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    Hi, I'm new to this too, but I have 6 week olds now and I bought mine from a local farmer who specifically told me which ones were the RIR. They have a red mark across their beak. Here is a pic of mine at about 2 weeks old all are RIR except the black one. Mine were redish at 3 days old until now. So I'm not sure about the yellow color for a RIR. Good luck.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by