RIR Egg Size

Here is the chart for week 50, a slow increase in egg size and a decrease in production.
egg-chart-50.jpg
JT

Do you think extreme heat may be affecting your production?

I don't know what it is. cacklehatchery.com says the RIR will lay 200-280 eggs a year so that relates to 55% - 77% (not counting the moult because I don't know how long that lasts). Maybe they are just settling into the rate they will have for some time. Maybe when they are younger they are over achievers lol. Dunno this is my first batch of laying soon to be hens. They will be hens next Thursday :)

JT

Last edited:
Wonders if they will molt this fall?
Lammas just passed, day are growing shorter exponentially,
shorter daily and less intense sunlight exposure may affect hormone flow.

Hello! I am new to chickens but for what it's worth, I have two Rhode Island Reds. The biggest one is at the top of the pecking order but lays a small egg. I say small, like grocery store small size. The smaller RIR, which is second in command lays a large egg, maybe even jumbo! These two were wandering around and animal control picked them up and gave them to my friend. I got them in March so we have no idea how old they are. Just my observations...
I would think if you got them from the same place, they may even be from the same mother but it's possible they are not. Have fun tracking your eggs, that's pretty neat!

Hello! I am new to chickens but for what it's worth, I have two Rhode Island Reds. The biggest one is at the top of the pecking order but lays a small egg. I say small, like grocery store small size. The smaller RIR, which is second in command lays a large egg, maybe even jumbo! These two were wandering around and animal control picked them up and gave them to my friend. I got them in March so we have no idea how old they are. Just my observations...
I would think if you got them from the same place, they may even be from the same mother but it's possible they are not. Have fun tracking your eggs, that's pretty neat!

Were they laying in March?

JT

Back
Top Bottom