RIR ????? Guess the chick

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cravenchicken, Oct 13, 2008.

1. cravenchicken

cravenchicken Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2008
    Got this at the local flea market the guy said RIR It looks like a duck to me ??? Guinea maybe ??
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  2. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    looks like rir to me

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Not a RIR. They dont have that widow's peak on the head like that. Could be a Welsummer or several other things. RIRs are a solid color. These chicks are RIRs.
    [​IMG]

4. porteryork

porteryork Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Clarkesville, GA
    It doesn't look like my RIR's. Here is a pic from about the same age.
    [​IMG]

Sorry about the quality. It was from our brooder (cat crate) and the babies are playing chase the chicken with the mealworm!

5. jonbanks

jonbanks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    i know my rirs did not look anything like that and they definetly dont now, lol

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I don't think I've ever seen stripes on a RIR. Here are the ones that I hatched this season from my partner.

[​IMG]

Jody

7. cravenchicken

cravenchicken Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2008
    Quote:Darn Speckledhen You are GOOD..Looked up Welsummer and sure enuff found a picture of my little chick
    [​IMG]

8. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

I don't have any guesses, but i did notice that your baby has yellow legs and the babies in that pic have pinkish leggies... [​IMG]

I am not a good breed guesser!! lol.... But that is a little cutie pie you have there!!

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Is that a trick of the light or does the baby have yellow legs? If yellow, could be a Brown Leghorn chick. So many are quite similar at that age.

10. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    Quote:Darn Speckledhen You are GOOD..Looked up Welsummer and sure enuff found a picture of my little chick
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/16800_welsummerchiks.jpeg

looks like that to me too! I only thought rir cause I got some from farm and fleet that I thought looked like that, they had the stripes and were suppose to be rir too!! I think I was confused and maybe they were ee chicks??? It was a while ago.
    Maybe I have been looking at chicks too much lately!! I wanted to hatch more but DH said NO!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by