RIR ????? Guess the chick

cravenchicken

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 7, 2008
Got this at the local flea market the guy said RIR It looks like a duck to me ??? Guinea maybe ??

Last edited:

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
Not a RIR. They dont have that widow's peak on the head like that. Could be a Welsummer or several other things. RIRs are a solid color. These chicks are RIRs.

Last edited:

porteryork

Songster
11 Years
May 9, 2008
Clarkesville, GA
It doesn't look like my RIR's. Here is a pic from about the same age.

Sorry about the quality. It was from our brooder (cat crate) and the babies are playing chase the chicken with the mealworm!

jonbanks

Songster
11 Years
Aug 12, 2008
i know my rirs did not look anything like that and they definetly dont now, lol

hinkjc

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
PA
I don't think I've ever seen stripes on a RIR. Here are the ones that I hatched this season from my partner.

Jody

cravenchicken

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 7, 2008
Quote:Darn Speckledhen You are GOOD..Looked up Welsummer and sure enuff found a picture of my little chick

Bec

THE Delaware Blue Hen
12 Years
Feb 21, 2007
Home Of The Delaware Blue Hen
I don't have any guesses, but i did notice that your baby has yellow legs and the babies in that pic have pinkish leggies...

I am not a good breed guesser!! lol.... But that is a little cutie pie you have there!!

Last edited:

zatsdeb

Songster
12 Years
Oct 2, 2007
Lincoln, Illinois
Quote:Darn Speckledhen You are GOOD..Looked up Welsummer and sure enuff found a picture of my little chick
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/16800_welsummerchiks.jpeg

looks like that to me too! I only thought rir cause I got some from farm and fleet that I thought looked like that, they had the stripes and were suppose to be rir too!! I think I was confused and maybe they were ee chicks??? It was a while ago.
Maybe I have been looking at chicks too much lately!! I wanted to hatch more but DH said NO!!!!!!

Top Bottom