RIR Hen has a broken wing (I think) and open wounds. (Pictures)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LoveMyChicks2, Jul 27, 2010.

1. LoveMyChicks2

LoveMyChicks2 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2009
    Raeford, North Carolina
    I have 7 RIR Hens. They have been laying since last October. Today I noticed one was missing. My kids found her under a bush. It looks like something has attacked her and I think her wing is broken. Do I clean her wounds with warm water only or is there something I can put on it? Does this look like a dog attack? The open wound, which my daughter is pointing to, is an open circle. The skin is actually torn and she has air pockets on the opposite side.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Does her wing "look" broke to anyone? She will not move it but she lets me fan it out.

[​IMG]

We put her in a cage with food, water, and straw for bedding. She is eating and drinking. We also found another of our girls (RIR) that looks like something grabbed her on the bottom as she is missing feathers just under her vent although there are no puncture wounds. These are the first hens we bought as chicks and even though we get eggs from them they are more like pets. I feel so bad for them. Thanks for any advice.

2. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I can't say if it is broke or not and I know some disagree but. I suggest cleaning it with soap and water as best you can, then rinse with hydrogen peroxide. Keep the wound clean and it should heal up quickly.

A kiss on the head now and then won't hurt either.

Rancher

3. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    I agree with Rancher....wash it out well....keep her warm & quiet with access to food & water...let her heal.

4. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Hydrogen peroxide will in fact clean the wound, but be sure to only use it the one time- it actually delays healing.

5. spoggy

spoggy d'Anver d'Nut

Aug 19, 2008
    Carlisle Township
    Soap and water, yes...hydrogen peroxide, no. Hydrogen peroxide is no good for punctures and will kill healthy tissue in an open wound. It is a strong oxidizer and has the same effect on tissue that air and salt has on metal (think rust). That is why there is a delay in healing. Neosporin, the stuff WITHOUT the pain reliever in it is a good antibiotic, Bacitracin is another. Hard to tell about the wing. I used to work at a raptor rehab center for a few years. Generally broken wings droop lower, but it's a severity thing. Good Luck!

6. PeggySueQ

PeggySueQ Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2009
    Only use the hydrogen peroxide at 50% strength. Otherwise it kills tissue. If you have access to it, fill the wound with calendula cream (naturopathic) available at a natural food store. Be careful of antibiotics because birds can be very sensitive to them. Keep smelling the wounds to make sure there is no infection setting in.

Looks to me like a hawk strike. Do you have any protections for them from air attack? Lucky she didn't get lifted.

Good luck with her.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Do you have a rooster? Similar damage can be caused by a rooster's spurs or toenails-especially if he is a very large bird. Bacitracin without painkiller or Neosporin to fight the infection. Keep her where flies can not lay eggs in the wound. She should heal.

8. spoggy

spoggy d'Anver d'Nut

Aug 19, 2008
    Carlisle Township
    Quote:It makes a big difference whether or not you have 3% or 20% Hydrogen Peroxide; both available over the counter btw. Better to not mess with it as an oxidizer is still an oxidizer regardless of its dilution. You'd be better off with an old standby like iodine. Please stay away from H2O2, it really does do more damage than good.

9. Airilith

Airilith Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Quote:I was thinking the same thing Sour. In the picture it's kinda hard to make out. Roo's tend to accidently cut hens open, usually right under the wings when their feet slip while they're trying to mount the poor girl. Now if you don't have a roo, that's a moot point.

On a side note, keep an eye on how she deals with isolation. I have hen that will decline, no matter what's wrong with her, if I separate her. She always has a lowkey hen buddy with her (unless it were to be an infection problem of course), as it keeps her much happier.

10. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Is that like a big ugly looking scab? I hope its not like one of those staph infections.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by